Thread: Finally, smooth consistant resawing....

Finally, smooth consistant resawing....

I have a 1 1/4 hp 28-200 rockwell delta (14") I picked up awhile back with the intention to resaw on it. Previously I had added a kreg fence, cool blocks, and a 1/2 3tpi olson blade and had reasonable results. I made a single book matched 1/4" panel... somwhere along the line though I'm pretty sure I ran something into the blade (dulling it) and forgot all about it....

So this weekend rolls around and I need to make the 4 book matched 1/4 10x28 panels and without thinking about it I started destroying curly maple I have for this project. I wasted a whole day futzing with the guides, the tension etc etc etc.only to continue to destroy more maple. I don't have any hardwood scraps... well until now I have plenty of maple scraps.

So today, a bit annoyed I went to woodcraft and bought a 3/4" 3tpi wood slicer, a carter cobra tension spring and some blade wax/lube or whatever it is. I came home, setup the blade and blocks (I'm getting real good at this... hah). This time around it's a whole new story... the blade slid right through the maple (it's only about 5" top to bottom). I could even feed it reasonably fast! It was fantastic....

The moral of my story is if you're going to resaw don't screw around with the little stuff.. Get a BIG MEATY blade, setup your saw RIGHT and enjoy resawing.... next stop is an 1/8" blade for the rockwell and I'll get a real bandsaw rather than trying the riser block route...

Ohh... and my wife saw the $4,000 sawstop they had and insisted that I start saving so I can be safe ..... I'm going to sneak a lathe and scroll saw in there too... I think I saw a glimmer of interest in making bowls and scroll work!

Bs

Alright,it feels good when things go right.I guess with the 3/4 blade which makes it alittle stiffer makes resawing alittle easier.I've only done it once,it came out ok,but next time I'm going to try the 3/4 blade.Thanks for the tip---Carroll

You'll get differing opinions on which blade to use for resawing. Like you, I've had the best results with a 3/4 inch 3TPI. I got mine from Timberwolf. I've resawed 12" 100 year old maple barnwood that's hard as Chinese arithmetic with my my G0555X with riser bar. I agree, the right blade makes all the difference in the world!

One of these days I hope to get a carbide blade for resawing. A lot of folks on here say that those blades are the cat's meow for resawing on the BS.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Ohh right, Mine is a timberwolf too.. I'm not sure why I had wood slicer on the mind. It works great for now but I have a bunch of money in this saw at this point... I'd really like to find a used "resaw".... THAT would be the way to go... anyways... I'm excited any time I get a tool running as advertised... now I need to get my dial indicator out and attack my TS and jointer/planer to get everything setup just right for my next project..