Thread: I now pronounce you TS and RT

Talking I now pronounce you TS and RT

Mt table saw and my Bosch router table are now joined as one. I finished this yesterday, sold my Dewalt rolling cart it was mounted on and I love having the extra floor space in my garage. I didn’t want to spend the extra scratch on a new router table, so I modified this one to work.

I know this is nothing new, but just thought I’d share.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eric Roberge; 05-11-2009 at 10:20 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Maybe it's not new but I haven't seen it done like that before.
    Ingenious!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Eric,
    That was interesting on how you built out the width to fit between the rails. I guess the overall weight hasn't caused you any problems has it?

My router table is set against my table saw too but I needed legs to support mine. Nice idea there.
    Kev

Nice setup and way to use a Bosch table, I had that same table for awhile and it did a very nice job.

Looks like you have taken it to the next step.

Nicely done

I'd say it looks like it belongs there. The way you wrapped the router top to make it the right dimension to fit between the rails looks slick.

I was wondering about legs too.

Kev,
    My front rail is pretty strong, so my only concern was the rear rail. If you look closely in the first picture there is a piece of L shaped aluminum attached at the bottom of the leg that runs to the front of the table. The way I have it mounted, it should take weight w/o issue.

Like I said, I hated to go and buy a new table because this one wasn't that old. I wrapped the rails in 2" aluminum and used some scrap furniture grade ply that I had to fill in the gap. Slid the unit in, secured it and then I cut the rubber T-molding to wrap the side flush against the ply. I used my Tilt Box to level it to the TS table and I was good to go.

Blog Entries
    Looks great. I don't think I could ever go back to a stand alone. I had an RT extension and dust box hung from the heavy aluminum rails of my old saw. I would support it; even a 2x2 with a rubber foot on each end that could wedge under there once you are positioned would be an extra safety measure. Remember, you are going to set stuff on there and push on it. Once aluminum extrusions take on a shape other than straight, getting it back is near impossible.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I did something similar. My Craftsman shop TS has a good size steel table. I bolted angle iron to either side, extending 24" out the back, so that a piece of used (& modified) counter top would sit on the angle iron, and be used for both a longer out feed table, and a router table.

Eric, yours is a little fancier than mine, but I wanted to share this as another way for people to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 for legs, or at least another brace on the front. I did the same thing to my 3650- but with adjustable legs, but if you're pushing down on that table and bend your rails you'll regret it. Two angled braces, front and back, should give you plenty of support without sacrificing mobility.
    Where did I put that?