Thread: DC Modification Pix wanted

DC Modification Pix wanted

Has anyone modified their single-stage DC to vent outside? I'm looking at my Delta 50-760, and can't figure out how to do this elegantly...

Here's mine

Last edited by Angie Orfanedes; 06-03-2009 at 6:59 PM.

Hi Shawn,

I just did that to mine, and you motivated me to post the pictures. They're here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113681

THanks for the replies so far. Nice thing about all single stages BESIDES MINE is that the output port is nice and standard so you can couple a duct to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    THanks for the replies so far. Nice thing about all single stages BESIDES MINE is that the output port is nice and standard so you can couple a duct to it.

Ha! Actually, mine is non-standard as well - it's just the opening above the ring that the bags mount to. I cut a circular piece of MDF to fit in that space, and a 6" hole in that "disc" to mount the exhaust duct into. I caulked the joints, and it works.

Of course! I should have thought of that! That's what I was looking for: simple and elegant.

Ok, let me ask you this:

How would the system fare if we mounted the Thien separator AFTER the impeller?
    I imagine conventional cyclones operate more efficiently with the separator before the impeller; that is, more of the heavier dust falls into the can - not the filter. But since we are ducting to the outside, do we really care about that? As long as there's a baffle or cyclone on the chip collector, then the air won't reactivate the heavies each time, and only the lighter stuff would ever make it out of the duct.

The only reason I want to do this for space: I'd be able to eliminate the lower bag and save an awkward rigging of a preseparator to the inlet of the impeller...
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-04-2009 at 8:53 AM.

Humm...I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but:

-If you're building a separate trashcan-style separator with a Thien baffle in it, you can put that either before or after the impeller. The advantage to putting it before the impeller is that you can suck up nails and screws without worrying about them hitting the impeller and making sparks.

So you could do that - build a trashcan preseparator, put it before the impeller, then just exhaust the air from the impeller housing directly outside (no need for the bags, anymore).

What I did was use the existing "ring" that hold the bags, and mounted a Thien baffle inside of it. This saved me from having to build a separate trashcan separator (although I initially tried to do that, getting 6" ducts in/out of there proved challenging). The baffle keeps all the chips in the bottom bag, so you can just send your exhaust (that would normally go into the top bag) directly outside. Again, you could mount the bag/baffle setup either before or after the impeller, and "after" would be preferable.

One idea I had that you may want to consider: For the exhaust ducting, you don't need rigid PVC, because the pressure is positive, not negative. You could use that flexible insulated ducting they use for HVAC. Maybe you can find a contractor who has 10' or so that they were going to toss? It's probably cheap, and you could coil it around a little to help deaden the noise.

Does your outlet MDF lid sit on TOP of the ring that the bag used to mount to? Mine's got a lip that prevents me from getting a disc INSIDE the rim. I'm thinking just to run a rabbet around a lid that's slightly oversized and then just clamp it on.... No?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Does your outlet MDF lid sit on TOP of the ring that the bag used to mount to? Mine's got a lip that prevents me from getting a disc INSIDE the rim. I'm thinking just to run a rabbet around a lid that's slightly oversized and then just clamp it on.... No?
    Mine sits inside the rim, and I made it small enough to get past any ridges in the way, then caulked the gap. Your idea would work just as well, though. Perhaps put some weatherstripping on the rabbet for a really good seal.