Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combo Machine Mortiser?

Combo Machine Mortiser?

Does anyone here have any experience with the mortiser attachment for the various combo machines?

If so, what do you think of these? I am in the early stages of looking in to getting a 12" jointer/planer combo, and trying to weigh the merits of the mortiser attachment.

How well do they work?

Do they work with angled pieces?

Do the tables tilt (thus allowing compound angles)?

For the cost differential, I am more inclined to go with the leigh FMT route (no pun intended), which would then allow the grizzly offerings to come in the the comparison.

Thanks,
    -jamie

Although I don't own the mortiser for my particular MiniMax J/P combo, I've used one in another shop. Works extremely well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one for my 16" j/p....and I really like using it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33381

I use the one on my minimax cu300 and find it very effective. For furniture size parts it is a really good solution. For very large parts I think something else would be needed; no mortising for timber frames!

The table doesn't tilt but it isn't hard to add a fixture when you have such a solid base upon which to work.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

If anyone ever feels the need to make a little video on how those work..

I mean how you actually make the tennon the right size for the mortise.. etc..

I would love to watch it.

Jamie,

I have a mortiser on my MM FS41 jointer/planer, it works great, really love it. Nice clean, fast and accurate mortises without the screaming noise of a router. Making the tendon stock is just a matter of making the tendon stock so it is a slight slip fit into the mortise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    If anyone ever feels the need to make a little video on how those work..

I mean how you actually make the tennon the right size for the mortise.. etc..
    Rick,

The mortiser itself, of course, doesn't make the tenons, at least not most efficiently. If you're making loose tenons you just plane some wood strips to the correct thickness -- fit testing in the mortise as you go -- then rip the stock to final width and round over the edges (much easier than chopping the ends of the mortise square.) Alternatively, integral tenons can be cut on your table saw, either flat with dado blades or both standing up and flat, with a jig.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 05-20-2009 at 9:29 AM.

I have one on my CU300 but never used it. I am curious though about what type of bits it uses because I'm going to grab a couple and give it a try.

Brian,

I've used two-flute upcut spiral end mills for slot mortising; others report good results with bird-mouth bits, which I think are two-flute straight cutters with a business end suitable for plunging. There are also sawtooth bits but I'm not very familiar with them in use.

Thanks Frank. I didn't realize it used a regular 1/2" shank router bit, thought there might be some special mounting.

Brian,

I don't know anything about your machine, so can't say what kind of bits it needs; I was talking generally.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I have some serious thinking to do.

The quote I got for the hammer a3-31 was well north of $4000 with the mortiser.

I guess that I have to go back to the drawing board, to reconsider the lagunas and grizzly again. The 16" laguna with a mortiser is less than the similarly configured hammer (albeit without the mobility kit)

I have one on my cu300 its a great unit, but to be honest i havent touched it since i got a domino.

Joe Zerafa

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I have used the mortiser on a combo machine in someone else's shop.
    I loved it. Fast, easy and obviously very stable.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

A little off topic but has anyone cut tenons using their mortiser? Not sure if the lateral stresses would be bad for the bit?

Joe Zerafa