Thread: Cutting board detail questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm also making a cutting board - what's the consensus on the best glue to use - I'm debating between Gorilla glue and Titebond III.

Thanks,

Eric

For the glue, Eric, the Gorilla POLY glue is messy to use but would work just fine. I don't have any experience with the Gorilla WOOD glue. TB-III would work just fine.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. Severseike View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm also making a cutting board - what's the consensus on the best glue to use - I'm debating between Gorilla glue and Titebond III.

Thanks,

Eric
    I use Titebond III on all of mine, I had one board that was left in a sink of water over night and the glue joints held, now some of the wood cracked but the glue held.

It would take an extra step, but I make my boards all end grain. Make a checkerboard pattern. The reason is longevity, chopping on end grain is much better. Looks, not so good, but just my 2 cents. I also take a chamfer bit, and chamfer the edges then put a long grain frame, also with a chamfer. This creates an all around blood groove. Biscuit joint, since it's then cross grained.
    Glue with waterproof Titebond. (II I believe). Finish with butcherblock oil (Mineral oil)

Oh, if you do end grain, and the cutting board is actually used, in the long run it looks "better" since a knife mark does not look as pronounced, for some reason. When you get a knife gouge in long grain, it's very noticeable, IMO. Since the end grain is already "ugly", the knife mark is not as noticable. It may be that the knife mark will always be running across the grain, making it obvious.

My only additional comment is in regards to using Walnut oil ( and walnut boards for that matter ) ... there are some people that have walnut allergies, so if gifting, be aware.

I have only made one cutting board ( for me ) and used mineral oil / parafin wax combo on cherry & maple wood. Rubber feet, no juice grooves.