Thread: Wire brush or Sander?

Wire brush or Sander?

Hi, I have to refinish my round outdoor table, and I'm not sure how to approach it.
    Should I just wire brush this, and then paint it with Rustoleum?
    ...or should I sand it down to bare metal with 80 grit?

Any suggestions and help is much appreciated!

-pete

p.s. - yes, I know I let it get too far, my wife has already reminded me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd use a wire wheel in an angle grinder myself. You could use one in a drill. Rust-O-Leum is going harden very slowly and is going to fade and chalk over a few years, just so you know. You can speed up the hardening using a hardener intended for oil-based tractor paint from Tractor Supply Co. I've been using Do-It-Best brand rust paint which actually seems to be a little more durable.

This stuff works well;

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Treatment.htm

I was told the brush on is best, so that's what I used. It turns the rust into a hard black coating. Supposedly it will follow any "trails" to a degree, as well. After it's cured, just paint over it. I got mine at an auto parts store.

Peter,
    Your table looks like it is vinyl coated rather than paint. If that is true, you are going to have to take all the vinyl off and that can be a lot of labor. I would do as Matt M wrote.
    I had a table similar to yours when I lived in California, the coating was a problem but the metal table was indestructible. My ex covered it with a vinyl table cloth and it was presentable.
    David B