Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A magazine I'd LIKE to see... but doesn't exist

What I would like in a magazine:

1. Projects across a variety of design aesthetics.

I have my personal preferences, but when I am designing something myself, I want to know how to incorporate what I want. I generally like clean lines without a lot of elaboration, but I like to throw in some more complicated details. But I want to know how to make it all, or more to the point, know that I have a magazine where I can look it up.

2. Description of how to make things with something less than a fully equipped, tricked out, shop that is the bastard child of Norm Abrams and Roy Underhill having every specialized power and hand tool in existence.

I am a hobbyist, and I assume the magazine market consists mostly of hobbyists. I may not have that $100 router bit or a plow plane or even
    a bandsaw. A little explanation of how I might compensate for a lack of equipment would be great.

3. Good, detailed, and accurate plans.

'Nuff said.

4. Explanation as to why.

This was mentioned earlier, and I think as someone who is learning, this is imperative. Why was something done a particular way instead of another? Even if there was no particular reason, it would be nice to know that.

5. Practical projects.

How many blanket chests, highboys, and bookcases can I make? Seriously -- I can make one or two, but I have a small house. I would like designs for (a) a docking station for phones, iPods, laptops, etc. (b) a filing cabinet for bills (c) a hutch to hold bills -- the list goes on.

I have tried to cobble together my wish list from a couple of magazines, but I haven't managed to get what I want yet.

So -- what do people think about the idea of a Sawmill Creek Magazine?

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

2. Frank, my thoughts exactly. I'm looking for creative ideas, not yet another shaker piece, or, as someone said, the "ultimate" this and "ultimate" that. The section out of all the magazines I look most forward to is the readers' gallery in FW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Buy a dedicated book on what designs you like?

IMO magazines are paid for by ads. The people who put the ads in are influential towards what articles are in there. So the "writers" cater towards whats "popular". I'd say that using a mag for getting designs are hit or miss, most times missing what you may personally like. And even then, only 1 article will be written. Next month will be something different. And most likely something you don't like, if you're looking for a particular style. I'm not saying mags are junk, I'm just saying if you like a particular style, try Amazon and look for a book "antiquated Shaker style cabinets". There may be one!
    That is true. Ads pay for the magazine. Subscriptions, not so much. In fact, lots of magazines send free subscriptions to doctors' offices and other places with waiting rooms in order to increase circulation. Circulation is often an artificial number that is used to boost advertising rates, because advertising is where the money is. I was managing editor for a regional lifestyle magazine geared toward upper-middle class women with too much disposable income. Worst job of my life. Constant pressure to appeal to the advertisers, at the expense of the readers.

And right now, ad revenue is down, way down. Many magazines are on life support just to survive. As an example, Wood was giving away four free issues to ge you to just try the magazine. Of course there was the follow up subscription request. Pick any of your magazines (Woodsmith, and ShopNotes being excepted, as they don't accept advertising), and look at a issue from a couple of years ago. Then look at this years issue (same month), and notice the difference. Hopefully all will be able to survive the current downturn. Their costs have gone up, but revenue has fallen. That's not a business model for success. Ask GM.

there are lots of good ideas about magazine themes listed here and i even have a few of my own to add however the problem with print magazines is that they need advertisers with lots of cash to help pay for the print. once the mag goes mainstream the topic panders to the lowest common denominator. unfortunately none of us are interested in another "how to", "DIYer" rag with weekend projects for the beginner.

the solution is to start a web based magazine like ThisIsCarpentry.
    with no investors to answer to there is room to explore very specific topics and themes.

it could be one main magazine with 5 or 6 different articles that covers a specific type of woodworking style each month.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Check out "Dwell" magazine.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post

2. Description of how to make things with something less than a fully equipped, tricked out, shop that is the bastard child of Norm Abrams and Roy Underhill having every specialized power and hand tool in existence.

I am a hobbyist, and I assume the magazine market consists mostly of hobbyists. I may not have that $100 router bit or a plow plane or even
    a bandsaw. A little explanation of how I might compensate for a lack of equipment would be great.

4. Explanation as to why.

This was mentioned earlier, and I think as someone who is learning, this is imperative. Why was something done a particular way instead of another? Even if there was no particular reason, it would be nice to know that.
    I would love to see #2, but it might make the advertisers grumpy. I'm 100% with you on #4.

Personally, I don't care so much about projects per se, but I'd like to see more on various aspects of design and technique.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

"I received a letter last week from New Track Media, telling me that Woodwork had been discontinued and that they will substitute American Woodworker for the remaining issues of my Woodwork subscription. That's some offer: providing one of the worst woodworking magazines in lieu of the best !"
    That's indeed unfortunate. I bought the first quarter of this year's issue where they noted that they would continue to publish the mag as it had always existed. I guess the 3 months that lasted was too much for the accountants at NTM.

I guess I am the OddBall, I never use plans, its someone elses work, I prefer to just start on a project and let it evolve, but being a fan of the Shaker style and more of a neander I try hard most of the time to not use metal fasteners unless there is no other alternative. And my passion even in blacksmithing is making tools, so I have a lot of shopmade tools. I don"t watch Normy, but did enjoy Roy and his frequent mistakes.LOL

I especially enjoyed Roy's visit to the Upper Canada Workshop, where he demonstrated the Scissors Mortiser with the cut going opposite of the way it was intended. In fact, I made a benchtop model of the scissors mortiser for my demo set of tools.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 06-13-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I guess I am the OddBall, I never use plans, its someone elses work, I prefer to just start on a project and let it evolve, but being a fan of the Shaker style and more of a neander I try hard most of the time to not use metal fasteners unless there is no other alternative.
    You're not alone -- you just described how I go about it, too. (Notice that I edited all that blacksmithing stuff out, though -- that looks too much like hard work!)
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I'm not a fan of really ornate pieces - I call it "Victorian brothel" furniture. But many people like it, and their opinion is as valid as mine.

Yeah - I'd like more modern design stuff, and maybe an in depth discussion of the art of design. What the ideas behind shape, color, and the intangible "feel" of design. I think that's what really sets apart the artist.

Plus, when you're building to earn a living, you can rarely get a fair price for all the hours that go into the more detailed stuff.

Two English magazines do just what you want. One is called "Furniture". They are woodworking magazines, and to describe how thoughtful they are, every so often run serialized detail primer courses in woodworking fundamentals.

Even showing starting with such techniques as cutting a "knife wall". A scribed line which limits the cutting action of a chisel or plane.

The two magazines are carried monthly at a news rack here in Los Angeles. A bit of an upscale neighborhood not far from UCLA. But somebody is buying and reading these things. Perhaps do a Google search for UK/Woodworking/furniture and see if you can get a publisher or distributor.

Be warned that English taste in furniture leans heavily towards heavy, dark furniture with claw feet. But modern designs are often shown.

Gary Curtis
    Northern California

I had trouble finding this so I thought I would share the link.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Fur...g--1010FC.html

As it turns out I have one of there books that I picked up at a B&N bookstore.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Mak...-GM-16387.html

By the way I am not a fan of contemporary. I like timeless, simple and functional. Shaker a bit too plain, Arts and crafts seems about rite and Greene and Greene getting carried away.

James

14. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post

I am pretty sure it is Wood magazine.. but one magazines has a "back to basics" project every month. Usually you can build it with just a circular saw, router, and a few other really basic things.

In all honesty, I think 80% of projects in the magazines can be built with a tablesaw, jig saw, planer, jointer, biscuit jointer, router table. If you have a drill press, it probably goes up to 95%. A lot of projects go out of their way to use screws where brads would be fine. I think they are trying to accomodate the beginner as much as possible.

In other words, I don't see many projects requiring a veneer press, bandsaw (a jig saw will work just fine for curve cutting), or other really advanced stuff. I suppose there are some mortise and tenon projects, but you could make a router jig for most of them.