Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maples box with 4 pix

You said that you made veneer from the various pieces. How exactly does one make veneer?

wow love the closures!!!!

Thank you for the nice comments. I do appreciate them.

The hinges: they are hand carved. I have made a couple in the past and continue to perfect the hole drilling part. In this case the holes came out fine but maybe I could have allowed the hinges to open a tad further. It stays open, so all is well.

Ambrosia maple: ambrosia beetles crawl through maple and (alledgedly) there is a fungus on their legs which stain the wood. Google Image search for "ambrosia maple lumber" will show this effect. The first picture shows some on the underside of the lid on the large square piece, slightly spalted (colorful). The little dark circles are the holes she makes burrowing into the wood. The upper right piece on the front (same picture) is an end grain ambrosia piece, dominated by the darker colors of the staining.

Veneering: way more info out there than I can summarize, but resawing 1/16" slices on the bandsaw is the starting point. A drum sander for final thicknessing is important to me too.

I agree about the oriental look. It started to look like that which is why the stand's legs got the flare.

I think it looks like a great 1:20 prototype for a coffee table.

This is great stuff! I also am a fan of Mondrian and this piece is a very nice homage to his aesthetic.
    RD

THAT is really kewel! Wow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...