Thread: Major Maple Slab Gloat

Major Maple Slab Gloat

Just got these sanded today. I'm making a dining room table, can't wait to eat dinner on it!! The maple is a little curly and spalted.

The slabs are 7 feet long, 2 inches thick, and together measure about 40 inches wide.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by John Michaels; 07-16-2009 at 1:03 AM.

wood

That's going to look great. Be sure to post some pics as you go. Nice score.

Wow! looks beautiful just like that! Just put a couple of saw horses under them and pass the biscuits...

I have a better use for it. Ship it here and I'll make something useful.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Wow, I look forward to the pics...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Beautiful. The shape is absolutely perfect. Please tell me yr NOT going to joint the mating edges...

Great find..i've been looking for some to do the exact same thing. That's going to be a beautiful table

John, where did you get maple? And if you don't mind my asking what did you have to give for it? I am looking for a source of 2" or better slab maple on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
    John, where did you get maple? And if you don't mind my asking what did you have to give for it? I am looking for a source of 2" or better slab maple on the west coast.
    I bartered for the wood. I have a window cleaning business, and one of my customers had these slabs in his barn. So I cleaned the windows at the house in trade.

Slabs like this aren't too hard to find if you look around, but price can really vary. Everything from reasonable to sky high in price.
    Last edited by John Michaels; 07-16-2009 at 8:36 PM.

Ooh...outstanding! I have a table of that format on my planned project list, too...I hope I find a couple boards that nice when the time comes!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...