Joshua, with me being in the Navy it goes without saying that I move a lot (about every 2-3 years). Each time I have to reestablish my shop.

I have a subpanel that I wire into the main panel using 6/3 copper and then run surface mounted conduit (10/3 and 12/2) for all the outlets. The subpanel is a 100 amp main panel that is typically used in household applications (I replaced the 100 amp main breaker with a 50 amp breaker). I use that size panel for the space - I have separate circuits for each 220 tool and four separate 110 circuits. This does not include the 110 circuits that are typically already in the garage (typically both the outlets and lighting are on the same circuit).

I hook that subpanel into a 50 amp breaker in the household main. In 15 years I have NEVER tripped that 50 amp breaker. At most, I am drawing about 40 amps (startup) at one time. That's the dust collector and combo jointer/planer both starting at the same time (which NEVER happens). Of course there are miscellaneous loads running all the time (like chargers) and I always wire in a bank of lights off of the subpanel as well (I like having the lights fed by two separate circuits). But again, for a one-man hobbyist shop, I've never tripped the 50 amp breaker.

Be well,

Doc