Thread: Fleetwood RV. Cabinet wood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dave,
    Any chance you can get the customer to send you a door? I was surprised to see on alot of new RVs that the doors are vinyl covered in such a way that at a quick glance appear to be solid wood, but it is an overlay, even on the raised panel doors. I'm not sure if it is thermo-foil, but in my opinion it is alot of work to make wood look like wood. I'm sure it makes sense somewhere.

Update.

I got an e-mail back from Fleetwood.

"The cabinetry would be vinyl overlay or plantation cherry stained"

So I take from that, What is hardwood is not cherry. Anything else is Just MDF or the like.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I think anybody that passes through the northern part of Indiana should visit an RV manufacturer and watch a motor home being put togeather.. Its amazing these things stay togeather as long as they do with the materials that are used to construct anything that sells for 500,000.00 and below. You really have to spend 500,000 or more to get to a level of RV that isn't slapped togeather with screws and silicone. If Fleetwood and others would spend a little more time with craftmanship and pride they wouldn't be in the trouble they are in. Back in the late 80's a Bounder was one of the best RV's built for the cash, now its as bad as anything Fleetwood makes. I hate to say it but I have watched their craftmanship decline over he years.