Thread: Bandsaw rip fence

Bandsaw rip fence

Last week I bought a 20" Delta bandsaw, an old one made in Pittsburgh. After a little tune up and lubrication it runs just fine. I want to find a rip fence for it and am having no luck. I do have a fence with all attaching hardware from an old Delta 10" table saw that I can modify and install on the bandsaw, but its not exactly what I want. Any suggestions?

Dick,

I like original equipment or equivalent as much as the next guy, but my Oliver band saw didn't have a fence when I bought it, I never really thought about trying to find one, and got along fine with a totally primitive but totally adequate fence made from a length of oak 3x4, with one known square corner. Clamps front and back, adjust for blade drift, and I was set to go. For the occasional resawing I made a taller fence out of plywood scraps.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but, at least until you get exactly what you want, low- but appropriate-tech can work.

Ever seen a Laguna Driftmaster? They have a number of videos up on their website showing the installation and use. www.lagunatools.com I'm expecting delivery of one on Thur. It's spendy, but seems to be about the most adjustable and versatile fence going. And seems to be stout enough to compliment a saw of that size (45#, 31" fence extrusion). When I ordered it last week, they were still $100 off. They have a number of other fences available also.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 07-28-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Not sure what you want in a fence but Mule makes one and it is large.

http://www.mulecab.com/bandsaw.html

What do you want to do with your saw?

I have a kreg fence for my PM 14. I know that a far cry from the saw you have, but I like it..... Don't know if they make one for your saw, but it's nothing a drill won't fix. Kreg got a lot of accessories to buy for the fence. If you want to do big stuff, I'd get something else. It's not very heavy duty.

Dick,

I cut down a jet-lock table saw fence to fit the bandsaw and it has served me well. Locks front and rear, and stays put, even has the micro adjust knob--all in all a great fence.

Bob

saw_front.jpg

saw_rear.jpg

Bob,
    What is that beast ? Tell me all about it.

Hey Bob:

What a teriffic saw, makes my mouth water.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

That saw looks like some real good craftsman made it. It is a wonderful looking saw. Nice old Delta drill press,too.

As for the Delta Fence,the table saw fence is probably the same fence,but you may need to shorten it up.THIS IS A GUESS. I managed to find an original Delta fence for mine,but they really aren't as good as a Kreg,or some other more modern fences. Like all Delta fences,they move when you lock them. I'm another nut who wants it original,even if it makes life harder. I always do things the hard way,anyway. Also,I can't remember how many times I've hooked my cellphone on those long rails sticking out. I hate to do it,but who really needs the long rails? I'm thinking about cutting them shorter due to space around the saw(if I ever finish painting it,and move it into place).

Delta has no more of those fences in their 'Historic parts" inventory.But,for JUST THE SHEETMETAL SHELL,no attached parts,they wanted $400.00. The fence shown is a later type of extruded aluminum that Delta came out with,and Jet copied.

I'm sure you could shorten the saw fence if needed,drill a few holes,and shorten the internal rod. Be careful before doing anything,though. I haven't actually shortened a Delta fence.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-29-2009 at 10:09 PM.

George:
    Shortening the fence is what I meant when I said "cut down". Yes it's really pretty easy especially if you have a metal cutting bandsaw, IIRC, measure the difference in table depths and shorten the fence bar and rear clamp actuator rod by that amount. Those 20 inch Deltas/Rockwells used the exact same fence and rails as the tablesaws except for the table depths. I feel your pain with the long rails. I compromised on mine so they wouldn't stick out in the aisle of the shop too much. Still I manage to connect with them on occasion!

Don & Jeff:
    I built the bandsaw in 1980 as a metal cutting saw only. (low speeds like 50-150 sfpm) In about 1986 I expanded my hobbies into woodworking, and redesigned the drive system with a high speed (3300 sfpm) drive. I retained the gearbox drive, and provided an electrically interlocked clutch system to engage it. (sounds fancy, but real simple!) So, this machine does double duty as a wood/metal machine. I've made a hobby of building a lot of my own tools which was a natural extension of my job as a mechanical engineer. (now retired after about 35 years in the machine design/prototype building business). Thanks for the kind words, guys. Now I apologize for hijackig this thread!

Regards
    Bob

So Bob, have you built an oscillating edge sander? If not, how would you devise a gearbox for the oscillating mechanism?

To the OP, sorry for the hijack.

Ed

Bob,I really like your work on the bandsaw! I like to make machines too,and have made a 2 spindle carving duplicator that I sold to Col. Williamsburg when I retired. It was just too big for my shop.Now,I'm making a nicer,and smaller one with linear bearings. If I ever get it done,I'll post photos of it. It is a 1 spindle style that can carve an arch top or back for guitars,or necks. It was designed to fit in a specific space I had for it.

Laguna Driftmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Ever seen a Laguna Driftmaster? They have a number of videos up on their website showing the installation and use. www.lagunatools.com I'm expecting delivery of one on Thur. It's spendy, but seems to be about the most adjustable and versatile fence going. And seems to be stout enough to compliment a saw of that size (45#, 31" fence extrusion). When I ordered it last week, they were still $100 off. They have a number of other fences available also.
    +1 on the Driftmaster. Saw one up close a few times and was recently considering a purchase from laguna and they tossed me a free DVD that showed the Driftmaster, it's features and setup. Very slick and rock solid.

You might try to find someone close by who has one that would let you look at it. Laguna can probably provide you with a contact.

Regards,

John