Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen Project

Matt, are those drawers 1/2" or 3/4" stock?

I've tried Pocket holes in 1/2" only once or twice and I always found it very tight -- there just isn't that much room in the plywood for the holes + screws.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Matt, are those drawers 1/2" or 3/4" stock?

I've tried Pocket holes in 1/2" only once or twice and I always found it very tight -- there just isn't that much room in the plywood for the holes + screws.
    5/8" actually. But I've used 1/2" with the Kreg-recommended screw (1" I think?) and it worked.

Sunday was kind of slow. I did some cleaning up and got the very large trim panel for one side of the fridge made. I'm going to have to go to my local hardwood dealer and hand pick enough material to get 96" pieces for the other side and the one side of the pantry because the rough cherry I got is all 8'-9' long and very tough to get a clear 8' piece out of.

I also got a step closer on the island by making the door that goes over the pull out table. The hinges I used make the door stand off a awful lot so I added the banding on the inside to make it look better closed. Unfortunately it makes it look awful thick but that's better than it was. I also discovered the island is more stable with the drawers sitting inside (weight) but I still plan to have them put a piece of steel plate inside under the bottom drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

is that a pantry door? it looks massive! how many hinges are you going to put on that beast? nice rolling island btw!

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    is that a pantry door? it looks massive! how many hinges are you going to put on that beast? nice rolling island btw!
    No, its a fixed panel that goes beside the fridge. The upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, so its 8' tall.

much better than just a slab of plywood!

Not much progress last week but I had a good weekend. LOML was out of town from Sunday afternoon through late Wednesday night. I got in a couple hours, but making dinner, spending time with LOMLjr, etc took most of my time. Then Thursday was my club's board meeting so I didn't get out to the shop until Friday evening. When I did, I finished sanding the island to prep it for finish, but mom told me that they decided they don't really need it until I deliver the rest of the kitchen so I moved onto doors and drawer fronts. First was milling a bunch of stock--about a drum and a half worth of chips. Saturday morning I started by jointing, ripping to final width, then tried something new and ran the stock through my planner to clean up the non-jointed side which worked nicely. Then I ran the groove in all of it. The rest of the weekend (at least shop-time) was spent gluing up panels--I now have 18 of the 44 done. I also completed the shelves that go on either side of the cabinet above the sink.

thank goodness you're doing flat panels. i can only imagine how much longer it would have taken if you had gone with raised panels. looking great, matt!

Tonight's progress, another 11 panels. Only 13 to go. But I used up all the stock I had milled up so tomorrow I'll be ripping, jointing, planing...

The todo list of woodworking is getting pretty short. In addition to those 13 panels, I need to:
    - Build the cookie sheet pullout
    - Make filler strips (whoa, that should be difficult )
    - Make stock for the toe kick (again )
    - Edgeband all the moveable shelves which are already cut, which I might stick my uncle with when he's in town next week if he's looking for something to do.
    - Build register covers for the baseboard radiators (waiting on the HVAC contractor to commit on the length of those.

And well, that's pretty much about it! Then sanding, sanding, sanding, cleaning, finishing, door/drawer installation, and the cabinet install tentatively scheduled for the weekend of 11/14.

There is a simple crown molding to make and some accent shelves for over the windows but those will come later when the cabinets are actually installed and the latter after the GC has finished the window trim.

Matt, very impressive on how fast you can whip out a kitchen project.
    very nice work

How are you going to finish all the cabinets? and what type of spray equipment do you have?

Yes, I'm doing all the finishing too. I use the Porter Cable PSH1 HVLP guns.

My finishing schedule is General Finishes Seal-A-Cell for color which also prevents grain raising. Then Target's WB shellac, the Target EM6000.

I have two guns so one is set up for the WB shellac sealer and one set up for EM6000 which will save a lot of hassle. I actually already sprayed the faceframes about month ago.

Another day, another stack of doors and drawer fronts. Only 5 more of these glue ups to go, but three are very large end panels for the fridge and pantry.

Reached a milestone tonight as all the glued up panels are done. Took all evening to build the last three and I milled most of the stock yesterday evening because these were some big ones. Two go on either side of the pantry and one goes on the side of the fridge and is the mate to one I built a week or two ago.

The one in clamps goes beside the fridge. The bottom panel (to the left) will only be seen when the fridge is pulled out so I skipped the center stile. The center rail is so big because the counter runs into the side of this panel. The counter fabricator is going to add a side splash that gets glued to that rail. This one is 24" wide by 8' tall.

I've generated a bit of scrap in the last two weeks. Three boxes full and these are just the ones to meet my minimum length spec for firewood for camping. The rest go out to be burned when we won't be hanging around. I've also been saving all the little bits and chopping up any thin offcuts for chips for the smoker and grill. This is about 1/2 of what I saved over the project. I already gave a bunch to my dad and put some in the garage for use.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-01-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Just a bit of firewood there, Matt??
    Nothing like some nice kiln-dried hardwood for the campfire.

So how are you feeling about this -- is it still good, or are you getting worn down? It sure is a big project.
    "It's Not About You."

Better now than a few weeks ago. The first big panel took me nearly a day and I was pretty overwhelmed. But things went quickly from and I can see the end so that helps. There's a LOT of sanding and finishing to do.

I keep joking that when its time to do our kitchen, we're going to Ikea.