Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A pet peave of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Is it a California thing?
    They call writing instruments Pins.

I've heard "idear" a lot.
    I wish ... I've heard it in Iowa, Florida, Arizona, California and Massachusetts. It seems to be an all-over thing, sadly.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Crazy thread...Lol

OMG! Is Lol proper English?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nope. <-------

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson View Post
    With that said, if someone refuses to use the simplest puncuation and capitalization, then I will add that person to my ignore list. Simple punctuation and capitalization is just a common courtesy, and doesn't really take any effort. It is essential, especially if the author wants people to read their post, and be able to understand it without re-reading it three or four times.

Okay, I'm done now.

Just checking to see if I'm on your list or not...

I don't recommend you sign up for any australian forums cause they'd all be on your ignore list . They trash the english language something fierce, both verbal and written like no one else.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

A pet peeve of mine is when I'm watching a game (baseball in particular), and at the end of the inning the commentator says there's no score. Of course there's a score, 0-0. If one team never scores a run in the game, does that mean the game never happened?
    Last edited by Keel McDonald; 08-20-2009 at 9:36 AM.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Looks like George Carlin is still alive in this thread.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I've heard "idear" a lot.
    I heard a comedian say once that consonants never just disappear; they reappear in other areas and words. For instance, when someone in Boston refers to their "cah" instead of car, the R reappears in the South at the end of "idear".

Sentences that end in prepositions. That's yet another peeve.
    If you get irritated by grammar, you should tune into this podcast. It contains lots of tips, myths, and advice about how not to be socially outcast by being obnoxious about "proper" grammar.

For example, one segment (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ositions.aspx) includes the following statement:

"I'm going to start calling this 'grammar myth number one' because nearly all grammarians agree that it's fine to end sentences with prepositions, at least in some cases."

It, then, explains when and why.

Finally, it ends with the following sage advice:

". . . the bottom line is that many people think it's wrong, so I wouldn't advise ending sentences with prepositions in critical situations, for example, you shouldn't do it in a cover letter for a job you really want. I always say, 'It's better to be employed than right.' But once you're hired, end away, and do your part to dispel grammar myth number one."

Check it out!

(If the link above doesn't work, try http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com and search "ending preposition.")
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 08-20-2009 at 6:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ositions.aspx) includes the following statement:

Check it out!
    Good website, Danny. It also brings up another grammar peeve - redundancy, as in "I'm going to return this back to you." If you are going to return it to me then it's obvious it is coming back to me so why say it twice?

I'm not really that picky; I just had some really good English teachers years ago and their lessons have stuck with me.

I’m a little more forgiving of people who don’t know the difference among there, their and they’re. There are two sides to a bell curve. For every honors student there’s a kid who eats paste.

What gets my goat is when people who are perfectly capable of good writing don’t take the time to proof read, or provide the information needed to make sense of what they wrote. For example, I often get asked about “the report” without providing any clues for me as to which of the hundreds of possible reports “the report” is.

My favorite communications blunder occurs when I get an email that I’m sure is intended to ask me to do something but contains no verbs.