Thread: New wood gloat

New wood gloat

A couple weeks ago I got a call from a guy that works at an Arboretum about 30 miles from my house. They had a couple Arizona Ash trees blow over in a storm and asked if I could use the wood.

This is my half of the load, split between myself and another turning buddy. It turns out there were 2 trees blown down, an Arizona Ash and a Sissoo (Dalbergia Sissoo), also called Shisham or Indian Rosewood, it's a true Rosewood in the same Genus as African Blackwood, Kingwood, Tupliwood, and Cocobolo. We loaded up on the Sisoo and left the Ash as it was less accessible and it had started raining fairly heavily. Most of the logs shown are 10-13" diameter with the exception of the huge crotch on the left side which is about 18" across and 17" tall.

About 1/3 of this will be distributed among Arizona Woodturners Association members who are willing to donate a portion of what they turn back to the Arboretum and I will be doing the same with the wood that I keep.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Nice gloat! Enjoy!

That's some nice looking wood. Hope to see some pictures when you turn it.

Nice haul!

Jason, Looks like nice wood with some great color! Should be fun to turn!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Congrats on all that beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats. Looks like some wonderful wood and can't wait to see some turnings out of it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

WOW nice wood, I feel envious for it, but at the same time am wondering on how the wood will behave, like my experience with hard dense wood shows that it usually is more than likely to split, so what do you know about working with wonderful green wood like this ?????????
    Have fun and take care

I've turned Sissoo previously and didn't have any major problems. It's fairly stable turns well wet or dry.

I split the large crotch this morning and roughed and cored it this afternoon. 4 pieces measuring 14.5", 11.5", 8", and 5". It would have been bigger and deeper except for a bark inclusion and the fact that I didn't want as much sap wood in the finished piece.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info Jason,The turnings are nice now, bet they will look even better when finished, thanks for showing
    Have fun and take care