Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest size bandsaw for a 2 car garage shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Can use use a small blade for curves on a 24" saw with flat wheels? Or I should say, how small a blade can you use on such a saw?
    I have an 18" (I know, not even close to some of these other guys) which claims to be able to take a 1/8" blade, but I haven't ever tried it. I just checked and the laguna 24x24 claims the same, though some other brands only go down to 1/4".

In addition to the wheel crown, the guides are also going to be a factor. Some work with narrow blades better than others.

My MM20 came from a 2-car garage. It had cool blocks to run a thin blade with. I bought a 12" Jet bandsaw (should have NEVER sold my 14" jet) for the scroll work and leave a big blade on the MM20 now. I know you can run small blades on a MM20. It has the 4.8hp motor.

We had to tilt the MM20 down to get it out of a 7' high door. Pretty heavy saw.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    should have NEVER sold my 14" jet
    I'm with you on that one, Mike. I miss the PM 14" I had, which was great for smaller work. Don't know where I'd fit it in my shop now, but I do miss it.

A pretty big saw will fit in a two car garage nicely.

Thats my 36" Oliver, and while it lacks the possibility of Zambus casters, or any other mobility device, it really doesn't take up that much room, if placed logically. Height can be an issue for getting a saw into a garage door. I'm 6' 4", so you can see how tall this beast is.

Short opinion, bigger is better!

Beautiful old saw Steve, thanks for the photo......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    My MM20 came from a 2-car garage. It had cool blocks to run a thin blade with. I bought a 12" Jet bandsaw (should have NEVER sold my 14" jet) for the scroll work and leave a big blade on the MM20 now. I know you can run small blades on a MM20. It has the 4.8hp motor.

We had to tilt the MM20 down to get it out of a 7' high door. Pretty heavy saw.
    While its true that large saws can run small blades, the changeover process can be quite time consuming and involved.

I would think a high quality 3 wheel saw in combination with a large wheel saw might be the best of both worlds. I don't know if any 3 wheelers are available at this time.

With or without the cars?

Put me down for a MM 24 in my 2 car garage, along with a Delta 14" with a scrolling blade. I keep a 1" Lennox Trimaster on the big saw. Fits great, got it on Zambus casters and it moves with just one hand and a grunt.

Rye Crane

I just picked up a 36" bandsaw today, I guess that might be big enough.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bureau View Post
    I just picked up a 36" bandsaw today, I guess that might be big enough.
    What did you get, Dave?

I agree with Rye, if you have a big saw, it's nice to leave it set up with a specific blade, and leave all the gazillions of little odd jobs to that little 14" Delta clone with a cheap blade.

A 24" saw will reach to the middle of a 4'x 8' sheet of plywood, which seems to be about the biggest piece a shop might handle.

I use a jigsaw to handle the big stuff my self on a picnic table.
    Some use a circular saw with the wood on top of a piece of insulating foam that is 4' x 8' underneath to give the blade clearance.
    I guess you can see that I don't do too much big stuff!

I like the idea of having one saw dedicated for re-sawing, and a smaller saw for curved work.
    I just don't think I would get a Delta or one of it's many clones, since they need so much upgrade work to perform half decent. I would either go with a 14" Rikon or a 14" Laguna steel frame saw, and have no aftermarket add-ons to have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    What did you get, Dave?

I agree with Rye, if you have a big saw, it's nice to leave it set up with a specific blade, and leave all the gazillions of little odd jobs to that little 14" Delta clone with a cheap blade.
    I just got a Towsley 36". Its only about 100 years old. great shape.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bureau View Post
    I just got a Towsley 36". Its only about 100 years old. great shape.

Now thats cool! Have you posted any pinups yet?

I just disassembled it and I'm cleaning and painting it now. Its in perfect shape and runs smooth as silk. has been sitting in this old timers garage for over 60 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave