Thread: Couple of new boxes

Couple of new boxes

Mahogany is some Honduran that I scoffed from my dad's stash, not really sure how old it is, but he probably got it in the '50's. I was playing with the shape of the top, found out later that I really don't like this inverse shape. Makes the lid look too flat to me and it makes it really light in weight. I've found that altho' I can do really thin stuff, I actually like a bit more weight.

Cherry is just some scrap from one of the local cabinet shops. I love the streaking, altho' I know some purists would have tossed it. Both boxes are approx. 3.5" dia x 3.5" high.

These have been really fun, and I enjoy the challenge of doing the beads, coves, etc.

Critiques welcome, am always interested in how others view my work, especially the design. Form is everything, for sure.

Thanks for looking.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I like the boxes... both of them. If I were going to be really picky, I'd say the finial/handle on the top of the mahogany is a little chunky for my taste. I really like that you detail the inside bottom of the box... I may have to steal that idea next time I turn some boxes. Thanks for posting the pics

Yep, I believe the knobs are too big/tall, plus, the cherry one isn't well defined at the juncture.

Thanks for the comments.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Richard those are good looking boxes. They are fun to do and I enjoy making them.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like them. I really like the crispness of the details and edges, so the soft handle/lid junction feels out of place. I don't think they'd be oversized if they had a clean sharp join or some bead or other detail.

I like both, especially the details you put in the lid and the bottoms. However, I would have made the finials a little smaller as IMHO they dominate the piece a bit. Nice job.

Richard - nice work on both of the boxes as well as your photos! Have to agree with the other opinions that the knobs could use a little refinement. You have some nice detail work on each box and I believe the knobs would have benefited from a groove, burn line or something to tie them into the rest of the box. Just an opinion...

Keep up the good work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!