Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Noah's ark

Building Noah's ark

How would you build Noah's Ark?

A question of Biblical proportions, this is more about woodworking than religion, so feel free to chip in regardless of your views. Let's have fun with this.

Let's assume some things.
    Size: 450' long, 75' wide, 45' high (some would double that)
    single window of 18"(possibly an opening of 18" around the top of the ark)
    1 door
    divided into rooms
    3 stories
    possibility of a tent covering on the upper deck
    covered with pitch inside and out (probably petroleum based)
    wood construction (there is no agreement about what gopher wood was - some would even argue it was a reed boat)
    Finished in 2300 BC or as far back as about 50,000 BC

Furthermore, let's assume the boat had to withstand torrential, ongoing rains, some weird ocean currents, moderately heavy wind, and have some way to stabilize itself when it lands (it wouldn't do to have floors at 45 degree angles) There seem to be no particular requirements for propulsion although some ability to maneuver seems right handy.

It is generally depicted as being constructed on dry land. I can't think of any textual reasons that has to be so.

It has to be able to house a number of animals as well as 8 people.

You have to recreate it today using period-specific tools, woods, and techniques. How would you do it? What are the problems involved?

Happy Neandering!

Blog Entries
    You have to recreate it today using period-specific tools, woods, and techniques. How would you do it? What are the problems involved?
    Since I know nothing about boat building, I would likely hire someone that does.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Noah's Ark

I was sent an e-mail about this the other day and went on line to find pictures. This is an amazing feat. http://www.worldwidechristian.net/Noah's%20Ark.htm

James

I just saw this the other day. "If Noah built the arc today" I think it is spot on. http://www.appleseeds.org/noah_today.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Since I know nothing about boat building, I would likely hire someone that does.

jim
    Jim,
    Actually, I would say you are eminently qualified since you probably have about the same interest and skill level in boat building that Noah did! ;-)

I assume that Noah and his sons must have had some carpentry skills but this would be one heck of a commission! All of life depended upon it being successful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Townsley View Post
    Jim,
    Actually, I would say you are eminently qualified since you probably have about the same interest and skill level in boat building that Noah did! ;-)
    Well, if I could have the same supervisor to guide me, then sure.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    I was sent an e-mail about this the other day and went on line to find pictures. This is an amazing feat. http://www.worldwidechristian.net/Noah's%20Ark.htm

James
    I saw a few different specials on TV about this very same question. It seems that a vessel that large cannot be built of wood because it would fall apart under its own weight. "Replica of Noah's Ark built by a Dutch contractor. It was built approximately to scale, however is 1/2 the length and 1/3 the width of the Biblical dimensions." AND built on top of a steel barge. No so amazing afterall but definitely a worthy project.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

If one accepts literal Biblical accuracy, that is indeed an interesting question. If all of the earth's peoples were gathered together in one geographic area, why would there have been a need for shipping? If there were no shipping, how would anyone know enough to build a boat that large? I suppose God could have guided Noah each step of the way, but there is no indication of that in the text.

I suspect that the wooden boat size problem could be solved, but even today, how would one know if it were solved without some serious testing or at the very least some careful computer modelling?

Perhaps it was a multi-hulled boat. (Anyone want to do that in Sketchup?)

There are so many logical inconsistencies in the story of Noah's Ark that it has to be taken as an allegory and not as a description of a real boat. So any boat you chose to build will serve for the allegory.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It is easier to picture in 2300 BC than in 50,000 BC because the bronze age didn't start until 2900 BC. I would really hate to do that joinery with stone tools. Maybe you could burn the tenon cheeks and the mortice and then knock away the char with flint.

The Wyoming was built in 1909 and sunk in 1924. It approached the length of the Ark, and about 2/3 its. width. It has massive problems with hogging, sagging and twisting that made it leak profusely, and finally sink.

The Ark did not need multiple voyages or propulsion. It just needed to float until the waters receded.

Now I just watched the authoritative movie on the subject - Evan Almighty - and that answered some of the questions. They got to use 19th century woodworking tools and all of the animals helped.

I did hear one interesting theory about why we haven't conclusively found the Ark yet. When the landed, they needed firewood and building materials much more than they needed to leave a relic for 21st century archaeologists to discover and get famous for.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Also remember that the story goes not only did it rain but the waters came up from the ground. This would certainly cause it to float before rising rains.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Many historians believe the Ark was built from Juniper, or a close relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Townsley View Post
    If one accepts literal Biblical accuracy, that is indeed an interesting question. If all of the earth's peoples were gathered together in one geographic area, why would there have been a need for shipping? If there were no shipping, how would anyone know enough to build a boat that large? I suppose God could have guided Noah each step of the way, but there is no indication of that in the text.

I suspect that the wooden boat size problem could be solved, but even today, how would one know if it were solved without some serious testing or at the very least some careful computer modelling?

Perhaps it was a multi-hulled boat. (Anyone want to do that in Sketchup?)
    Check your history out and you will see that there are over 400 ancient stories about forefathers building an ark to survive the flood.
    I guess you could say that Ark stories are multi-cultural.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    Many historians believe the Ark was built from Juniper, or a close relative.
    I am sure that they do, but I think that they probably failed reading comprehension as a kid.

Genesis 6
    14Make yourself an ark of gopher or cypress wood; make in it rooms (stalls, pens, coops, nests, cages, and compartments) and cover it inside and out with pitch (bitumen).