Thread: Jet min lathe tail stock wheel coming off

Jet min lathe tail stock wheel coming off

Hi All, Has anybody had their tailstock wheel come off? Mine keeps coming off especially when I try to eject my live stock. I notice there is no flat on the shaft and I wonder why. They just have one small allen screw holding the wheel on and it seems inadequate. Anybody put a flat on the shaft to help hold it on? Any ideas appreciated.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

You could drill a dimple in the shaft a little easier I would think.

That sounds like a good idea Paul but I wonder how hard it will be drilling a dimple on a round shaft. Maybe I could make a 45 degree jig for the drill press etc. I'll figure it out. Thanks

Touch the round shaft to your grinder. Should make a usable flat spot in seconds.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve, that sounds easy and should solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    That sounds like a good idea Paul but I wonder how hard it will be drilling a dimple on a round shaft. Maybe I could make a 45 degree jig for the drill press etc. I'll figure it out. Thanks
    Alternately, take the set screw out and stick a center punch through hole and give it a whack to create a dimple. It shouldn't take a large dimple.

Sometimes set screws just back out. In that case, I use a shorter screw and stack another one in the bore to double lock it in, or just use red locktite.

unless you have special bits, i dont think that a drill would work. drill bits are softer than the spindle. most spindles are high quality tool steel.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Smile Not red . . . ?

Not RED Loctite, use blue . . . I learned the hard way . . .

P.S. If I have it back-wards my bad . . . point is, you do not want to use LOCTITE'S best locking, you will strip it if you ever have to disassemble your tailstock . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

My answer was overly simple. I assumed the shaft would be centerpunched and put in the drill press vice. The wheel is on a screw shaft not the spindle itself which is softer than the drill bit. The spindles have to be machined at some point and would not be hardened afterwards, so they are also softer than HSS drill bits. I have machined Delta spindles with my machine lathe using HSS bits with no problem. I have one tailstock wheel that someone put on with a tapered pin -badly. I have sleeved wheels that were worn and turned the shaft to fit. All sorts of fun, huh?

Easier still...buy a (or grind your own) pointed set screw...there are three types:
    1 Cup end,
    2 Flat end
    3 point end
    with option 3 you will deform the shaft, but not as badly as with the cup end.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    Not RED Loctite, use blue . . . I learned the hard way . . .

P.S. If I have it back-wards my bad . . . point is, you do not want to use LOCTITE'S best locking, you will strip it if you ever have to disassemble your tailstock . . .

Steve
    Oops, you are right, got my colors mixed up. The light duty stuff will work fine.