Thread: I've got a drill decision - could use some advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Read a lot of positive reviews on the Makita black drills, but there is $$ involved.
    BTW - I learned your lesson some years ago, so I got extra batteries when I was forced to buy new gear - same issue you are facing. One dead and gone. Others sruising fine.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Read a lot of positive reviews on the Makita black drills, but there is $$ involved.
    BTW - I learned your lesson some years ago, so I got extra batteries when I was forced to buy new gear - same issue you are facing. One dead and gone. Others sruising fine.
    This one? http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6506954&sr=8-4

I don't know if you are close to an HD, they currently have an in store deal, bring in your old drill and get 15% off a new coedless drill. The Makita BDF452H mentioned is a sweet drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Williams View Post
    I don't know if you are close to an HD, they currently have an in store deal, bring in your old drill and get 15% off a new coedless drill. The Makita BDF452H mentioned is a sweet drill.
    Oh, I have one 5 minutes away from the house - except once you figure tax back into the equation it ends up being pretty much equal to what I can buy it for from Amazon. Plus, I can keep my current drill if I choose. I think the HD thing is a good deal if you need it *NOW*. At least for this particular drill.

Makita 18V BHP454 | $329

Amp-Hour: 3.0 / Weight: 4.9 lb. / 3-in. drywall screws: 227

What we liked ----All three testers agreed the Makita was one of the best
    ------------------power tools they’d ever used. Some talented engineers
    ------------------designed its high-torque motor and drive­train to squeeze
    ------------------every ounce of performance from the battery. It also
    ------------------exhibits excellent industrial design. For a large and heavy
    ------------------drill, it’s well-balanced and handles easily due to a nicely
    ------------------shaped handle with lots of rubber overmold.

What we didn't ---The switch to change from hammer to the drill or drive
    ------------------functions is just too hard to slide.

Bottom Line-------• • • • • BEST OVERALL

I would guess the 452 would rate pretty high also because it is the same design; just a little smaller.

Here is the Amazon link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BHP454-...6507980&sr=1-1

The 454 costs $100 more because it has 560 in/lb of torque is a hammer drill. The 452 has 450 and isn't. With Makita's reputation the 452 might be a good choice for the price, but I haven't seen any comparison tests on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Freed View Post
    Here is the Amazon link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BHP454-...6507980&sr=1-1

The 454 costs $100 more because it has 560 in/lb of torque is a hammer drill. The 452 has 450 and isn't. With Makita's reputation the 452 might be a good choice for the price also, but I haven't seen any comparison tests on it.
    Definitely don't need a hammerdrill - but I'm wondering if these silver units have the same stoutness built into them as the teal colored ones I'm used to seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rees View Post
    Definitely don't need a hammerdrill - but I'm wondering if these silver units have the same stoutness built into them as the teal colored ones I'm used to seeing?
    no, they don't.

i've used both. the green ones are generally heftier, stronger, batteries last longer, etc. that's why they cost 100 more.

i have the one david linked on the previous page. a couple of days a week, i use it for 6+ hours a day. holds a charge on one battery that long usually, might have to switch to the spare late in the afternoon. have dropped it ~30 feet onto a concrete driveway while hanging windows once, still works .
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 10-27-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Yep. Him. Caveat - Don't have one - just read about it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    My old 18 volt Makita batteries are gone. I bought a Makita 14 volt Impact Driver and Drill set at the Atlanta woodworking show a few years ago, just before the lithium drills came out. The 14 volt Makita Impact Driver seems over powered to me. I have a hard time not driving screws out the far side of boards when I use it.

I have a 12 volt Hitachi Impact Driver that I have driven countless screws with during several good size building projects, maybe I just got use to it's touch and feel. I do a fair amount of construction though and 12 volts seems like plenty for driving screws up to 3" and even drilling pilot holes. I can't imagine needing 18 volts for driving screws or pilot holes. If I want to drill a big hole I'm going for the big corded Bosh or the new Milwaukee angle drill. Or maybe the new/vintage Millers Falls Brace I won on Ebay and an auger bit. Sometimes the auger bits in the big Bosh try to turn me.

I think my next battery drill will be a Lithium 12 volt, maybe even less. I am about to try driving screws with the 'hand Drills" I got on Ebay. There are about 200 screws & bolts needed to put up a 50' x 24' party tent. Then I have to replace walls and flooring in my 8' x12' chicken house to convert it to a home for German Shepherd pups... Then I have to enclose a 21' x 16' area under a porch, shees that's a bunch of screws.....

Maybe I will have to run one of my old drills up to the depot and do the trade in for a new Lithium Drill. When you are driving as many screws as I do you start to feel the weight of a big drill by the end of the day, sometimes sooner ;-} The 14 volt Makita I bought last does not seem much less powerful than the old, original 18 volt Makita I have. It has been several more years so I am guessing a 12 volt may be comparable to an older 14.... but then all the drills have gotten lighter too....Maybe I'll play around with braces and drill accessories.