Thread: Sign your work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No mark on most things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    At this point, I don't want anyone to be able to trace my shoddy craftsmanship back to me. Someday, maybe, if I get good enough.
    BINGO! We have a winner, folks!

I have one of the Rockler models that I used to use on nice pieces - my wife got it for me a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, I was at a charity auction a couple of weeks ago and saw three very, very poor pieces, all with the same stamp, all from different guys. I went home, looked over some of my first pieces, and it really made me think. Do I really want anyone to associate those with me? And did I want the same "Hand Crafted by..." stamp that everyone around here tends to use? Strikes me as disingenuous to the craft, the art, and the uniqueness of woodworking.

But...I'm just rambling. On a nice piece, I'll just sign it with a sharpie, date it, and maybe note wood contents. On a piece I'm not so proud of, I'll just give it away unmarked. My first Morris chair got no mark. The second got a proud signature and a pat on the arm. The penny idea - I'm using it. And I probably won't even pay Gary for the idea.

I dont typically - but when I do I use the kids.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=bubinga

LOL.. I think I'm set on a stamp..

Spent a little time last night photoshopping it and think it turned out well. Since my signature sucks anymore, I went with a font that looked close to it and then modified the image further to make it look more personal. I left a space at the bottom for a date sig.

I think as far as detail and design go, you can't get as much detail in a branding iron. Since I do graphics work, I want the brand to reflect that skill as well, so a stamp is the best way to get those details.

This is what I came up with.. Found a place to do custom stamps of any size, unmounted, rather cheap..

Lary: That's certainly a unique sig.. Rather like it!
    Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 11-06-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Anyone who is using a stamp. Do you stamp under the finish I assume? And if so, do you have trouble with smearing when you apply any particular finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    Anyone who is using a stamp. Do you stamp under the finish I assume? And if so, do you have trouble with smearing when you apply any particular finish?
    Not having my stamp yet . . . I was kind of wondering this myself. I was planning on doing a seal coat of shellac first, then the stamp . . . then my finish. My stamp making friend suggested an ink called StazOn . . . he figured a dark brown for light woods: http://tsukineko.com.xohost.com/stor...l&skip=&p=3242 and a butter cream for darker woods: http://tsukineko.com.xohost.com/stor...l&skip=&p=4218

Once I get it, I'll test it out. I'm sure it will be fine if I'm spraying a finish on, but I'm wondering how it would do with a wipe on finish.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    I have used a stamp for about 8 years; I have never had trouble with the ink smearing (I just used whatever ink pad they had at the office supply house. I always stamp my work after I put on the stain then I lightly put on some top coat in that area. Works great and is a quick way to mark your work.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I think the wood medalions are a great idea. I agree a bit expensive, but at least available. There was a place in the UK, "Makers Mark," that did very nice engraved metal labels. I once had him do a sample picture and email to me, but I couldn't decide on a design and come up with the money to order for a few months. When I did finally decide and have the money, the guy apparently didn't want my business. I've always wondered if anyone else got anything from him. It certainly appeared to be very classy stuff.

I too was looking at Vidi Makers mark and then came across this thread http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/v...ic.php?t=36490, so perhaps you saved yourself some grief . Shame really, as his work certainly looks the business, so long as you can afford it!

Thanks, Mike. Interesting.

Well, I got my stamps in today. I ordered from rubberstamps.net and got two unmounted stamps.

They're nicely cut and have a good amount of detail to them which honored my intricate design above really well. From the looks of them, they were cut on a CNC style machine.. The feed lines run left to right, which is consistent with an image being turned into g-code.

I've got foam laying around that will work well for mounting, and MDF all over since I'm working on the fireplace. Will mount them when I get a chance and test them out.

I did end up making a second, smaller design based closely off the first... One stamp is 3" tall by 4" wide.. Awfully large.. Has a space for a date under my name.. The second is smaller at 1.5" by 3"..

So for better or worse, I'll be stamping what I do.. It may be crap, but I'm proud of it regardless....

Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 11-23-2009 at 1:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    I use a branding iron my mother bought me as a present and embed a penny of the current year on each piece that I make. The brand is permanent and looks nice if you don't get carried away with the heat. I figure a penny is too small a denomination for some kid to pry out in the future for spending money. Quarters, dollars or Toonies may get yanked by some uncaring individual in the future. Most people receiving the items I make are pleased with the penny.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I might upgrade to an iron down the road, provided I can duplicate the brand I made above in iron form and moreover, that my work improves beyond it's current state and at which it deserves more than just some lowly ink.