Thread: Wetzler clamp order update

Wetzler clamp order update

I was looking for deep reach clamps and decided to order Wetzlers, in spite of several posts indicating people had a difficult time contacting the company, some orders arrived weeks or months late, and some questions around the company's viability.

I had a different experience and just wanted to add another data point. I ordered the 9 inch quick clamp, mostly as an experiment, on Wednesday, November 4, from the Wetzler website. It arrived today, November 6, from PA to MD so it was likely shipped the day after I ordered. On a different note, I did reply to the email confirmation asking about shipping and it went unanswered, although I'll take the silence and the next day shipping.

I can't speak to the company's overall health, but ordering from Wetzler worked fine for me this time and I'll be adding a few more. Oh, and yup it's a rock solid clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't speak for Wetzler, but I have noticed most of the automatically generated updates do not take replies. You usually have to go to the contact page on the website to send an e-mail that will get received.

just a thought,
    JeffD

They do make great some clamps by the way.

I am not sure about their health. But waiting months for an order is completly normal. Their web site will tell you just that. They make each order as they come in. So they aren't just going to switch from make F style clamps to make quick release. So you may have to wait. But I have never heard of someone not getting their order or being unsatisfied of their work. The only reason the single clamp came so quickly it was probably an extra that they had.

Yup, could be it was lying around or I got lucky and ordered at the right time in their production cycle. I'd done some research here and on other sites and the posts were cause for concern. For example:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d=5960&t=88884
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120226

Since I had a different and better experience I thought I'd post it.

FYI the from address on the order confirmation is the same one that opens on the "contact us" webpage, so I assume they got it and it wasn't a "do not reply" situation. I also couldn't find where on the website they talk about delivery times and expectations. It makes sense for high quality, limited production run items to take a while, I just didn't see it laid out anywhere.

Update: So I was working on an assembly and sure enough, I needed more reach, which the Wetzler handled admirably. It is really a beast and rock solid.

Perhaps I've been working with handplanes too much, but the finishing seems average at best: hit and miss grinding along with some rust on the bottom of the swivel. I've posted a couple of pictures and would love anyone whose has more experience with them to let me know if this is typical or even expected and appropriate. The one thing that is really well done is the screw, which is probably the most important.

While the rough grind on the inside of the jaws is cosmetic, it wasn't quite what I was expecting given the rave reviews I've read and the hefty price tag. It also peaked my curiosity since the clamps on the wetzler website all appear have "Made in the USA" prominently stamped on them and mine does not... anywhere.

I'm going to email them again to confirm they're still making them in PA these days, but I'm not holding my breath for a response. It's a bit baffling why they wouldn't have USA all over it, but maybe I'm missing something. If anyone else has any more insights into the clamps or the company I'd appreciate as it's got me wondering. Given the great history I'd be really disappointed if they've gone overseas.

I'll post any additional information I get in case anyone else is interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wetzler Clamps Article

I found this article that shows the company has survived with only two employees. It's good to see long term employees taking over the business.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...0316/-1/news16

That's interesting, but I'm curious.

The article came out August 1, 2010
    You joined SMC August 2010
    Today you update a year old post

How does someone who was not involved in a thread a year ago know to find it and update it. I can't remember what threads I read last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    How does someone who was not involved in a thread a year ago know to find it and update it. I can't remember what threads I read last week.
    Using the search function?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Allen View Post
    Using the search function?
    Totally agree. I search all the time for topics.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A year or so ago I had a small order of clamps with Wetzler that took months to receive. Trying to contact them for info was virtually impossible. I tried numerous emails and calls all to no avail. I finally with one of the email address contacted their ex-web site guy and he said that was kind of normal for them and he would try to contact them for me. Never heard a word. I did finally receive the clamps and I must admit they were very good. But for me dealing with people that can't or refuse to respond to a customer isn't going to work. They didn't however have any porblem whatsoever in taking the funds from my credit card when I first placed the order several months before receiving my merchandise.
    I understand the story behind their business, but we all have our own problems. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away, it just makes them worse. I could never reccomend a company that has so much disregard for its customers.
    Retired and Lovin it

Interesting reading. I copied this from this http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...0316/-1/news16 link to the article.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 12M clamp, which opens 60 inches and weighs 33 pounds, costs $167.40.

"We have done up to a 20-foot-long clamp," said Kevin Steible. The customer needed the giant tool in order to finish some massive mahogany desks that were being built for the federal government.
    ------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing the 20 footers are a 2 man size clamp.