Thread: Protective grease coating overload

Protective grease coating overload

I just received a tablesaw tenoning jig from Woodcraft. Goodness gracious, was it coated with a thick axle grease as well as a thin coat of oil. It also wreaked of a gasoline-like odor. It definitely was not cosmolene.

I had to disassemble the entire jig, scoop the grease off of each part, then double wash each part with fantastic and a parts cleaning brush.

In order to put it back together, I had to use the exploded view in the instruction manual. No where was there mention in the manual of having to do all this.

It took about 2 hours to clean, reassemble and adjust. If I knew this, I probably would have not ordered it.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 11-06-2009 at 8:57 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Table saw grease

Man that sucks. Doesn't sound right to me. I'd call Woodworker's and let them know the issue. Cosmolene is enough of a PITA. But you shouldn't have to disassemble a saw jig to get it ready for use.
    Last edited by Michael Heffernan; 11-07-2009 at 7:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Hmmmm, They have them on sale, plus free shipping. I almost ordered one.

John

Blog Entries
    The jig I got from Rockler years ago came with only a light oil on the unpainted surfaces. Your experience really sounds like overkill.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It seems to be well made.

To be fair, it does seem to be a quality product upon being cleaned up. It was only $60 including shipping. On the positive side, there was no rust.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Maybe all the grease was SUPPOSED to be there!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Items made in Asia are frequently heavily coated with cosmolene. The long sea shipping in containers leads to lots of rust. So, the heavy coating of a protecturant.

That said, if it was cosmoline the quickest and easiest way to clean it up is with kerosene. Kerosene quickly cuts the gunk and leaves a slightly oily residue that helps long term protection of the non-painted surfaces.
    Howie.........

I bought a tenoning jig from Grizzly last year. It was the same story with it - very heavy with cosmoline. I used naphtha to wash it down and it cleaned up without disassembling it. As Howard said, it's kinda normal with items that spend time in ocean-going shipping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.