Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the Table Saw Now a Band Saw Dilemma

Got the Table Saw Now a Band Saw Dilemma

First of all I would like to thank everyone whose posts have helped me in my long journey back into woodworking. with that said, I was waiting to see if bonuses came through this year to help cover some of the cost of a new Table Saw and to my suprise it was 5K (well about 3K for me and 2K for our Uncle) So I just ordered a G0691 Table Saw from Grizzly and I was about to order the G0636X but I am not sure if I should hold out for a MM AG... or Laguna. Laguna is sending me some Literature & a DVD but it will not arrive until after the First of the Year, so if I wait I will lose the slight discount on the Grizz. I have my doubts that Made in Italy or Bulgaria is going to be any better than an ISO 9001 factory in Taiwan and I am not worried about resale but to date this is my largest tool purchase and besides my vehicle purchases, this will probably the largest sinle purchase I have ever made (at least until I replace my lathe). So I guess I am just looking for some re-assurance from all y'all incredably knowlegable folks. Two months ago I was looking at the Rikon 14" with 13" Re-saw capacity, stop me before I end up with a saw that won't fit in my garage.

Thanks Again,

GDub

You're clearly in the wrong place if you're looking for folks to stop you, now if you want us to egg you on then thats another story

As for the G0636X, I've already started drooling over it (need a drill press first tho, can't wait to see this new one Shiraz has been dropping hints about next year). I'm in the same boat as you, was drooling over a G0513X2 last winter with the Bing CB but life got in the way, but now I can't get the G0636X outta my mind!
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Greg,

First I will tell you I own a MM-16. I bought it several years ago. I wanted something that was a proven product and my two adults sons would argue over after my demise.

That being said....

Grizzley has come a long ways in their quality over the years. There are a lot of happy owners here of a lot of their bandsaws. In some of the recent product tests by the magazines, Grizzley bandsaws held their own.

It really becomes a matter of is there a significant difference in quality to warrant the difference in price? That is a decision that you will have to decide. Keep one thing in mind, if you buy the Grizzley, better bearings, blade guides etc, are available locally through bearing shops and from after market manufaturers. At the same time, one can find arguments that the Mini-Maxes, the Lagunas, the Agazanni's have problems too.

IMHO....the differences today....when you compare apples to apples.....aren't as great as they were in the past.

Then again....I bought an MM-16 for a rather off the cuff...outside the box reason.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-24-2009 at 8:51 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

the grizz gets good user ratings but keep in mind most of the people that own them have never used or looked at the higher end bandsaws i started out with a 18" rikon after using a friends 18 jet and not liking it much then i upgraded to a mm20 after looking at all of the other saws besides aganzi imo the china saws hold nothing over the upper end euro saws from the design to the thickness of the metal even on the doors to the weight of the wheels to the quality of the components the make and size of the motors the resaw capacity the design of the guide post but with that being said for a hobbyist all of the china saws will serve you well but the italian saws will do it so much nicer and smoother
    another example i wanted a 14" for curve cutting i checked out all of the brands pm grizz jet sf sc i ended up with the laguna 14 3000 suv and i can say no other 14 even comes close to its quality and capacity

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Oh yeah forgot about that thread, been looking at so many. The part that got me thinking back towards the Grizz was the added weight. Seems like the added weight will help when re-sawing large lumber. Just as I am typing this the Laguna Info I requested came in the mail. Now I can scour this information and make the right choice. Thanks to all and Happy Holidays.

Just another MM16 owner here to muddy the waters...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

when i was looking 18 months ago, it was between the laguna and mm (16"). read all of the blogs i could find and went with the mm with no regrets.

the only problem i have with the mm (and would with the laguna) is that you can't use small blades. i had gotten rid of my old sears 12" but managed to retrieve it - just a hint in case you have a small band saw: KEEP IT.

On the grizzly, the quality seems to have gotten much better, in fact, I recently purchased the grizzly 12" jointer and love it. if your heart says the grizzly is the solution - go for it, since the saved money can purchase more wood or another tool.

Greg,

There is a whale of a end of year sale going on at Mini Max. Go to their
    website minimax-usa.com and check it out. I believe you want to read the notes about ordering, etc. before the end of the year. Make sure if you are interested you don't miss some small print.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on, all great saws that have been mentioned.

Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, Ca.

owner of a MM24 bandsaw

I've played with the 636 a little, and it is a first class machine. I'd guess that you'd never want for more.

Some will claim that Asian machines just can't measure up with European or American-made machines in terms of quality. That was true once, but no longer. The SawStop and PM2000, for example, are lauded for their quality and are made in Taiwan.

If it was me, I'd get the Grizzly and use the difference for something else.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

After reading Glen Huey's piece about the 636 in the 6/09 PW,I E-Mailed Glen and he was kind enough to answer my questions each time.The PW group really fell in love with the 636 as an all time favorite.I also investigated MM,Agazanni,Felder,etc.. I decided to go with 636,but before purchasing I wanted to speak with Grizzly customer service.After two phone calls to CS, the service people convinced me not to buy one by shear rudness,disinterest,overall didn't care if I bought the 636 or not.This came as a real shock,after hearing other creekers speak so highly of Grizzly CS.I recently called CS about the jointer/planer combo and this was the shortest call yet. I posted here about CS fatigue and got some names from other creekers,I'll try them if I call in the future.From everything I've learned about the 636,its a great machine. In the meantime I bought a used Bridgewood PBS540.

Ed

Customer service

Wow Ed, I have never had anything but good treatment from Grizzly customer service. Even once when the shipper damaged a delivery and I was on the onery side. Once I could see, but twice. When it rains it pours. I got the feeling if you went over their heads and lodged a reasoned and convincing complaint you would get a positive response, but whose got time for that. Speaking of customer service, has any one read the numerous complaints about Laguna customer service? The gist of the complaints I read is that your on own if your machine has a problem. Problems may be rare with their machines, but it seems there are lot of people they left hanging. FYI Laguna has a D rating from the BBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Griner View Post
    After reading Glen Huey's piece about the 636 in the 6/09 PW,I E-Mailed Glen and he was kind enough to answer my questions each time.The PW group really fell in love with the 636 as an all time favorite.I also investigated MM,Agazanni,Felder,etc.. I decided to go with 636,but before purchasing I wanted to speak with Grizzly customer service.After two phone calls to CS, the service people convinced me not to buy one by shear rudness,disinterest,overall didn't care if I bought the 636 or not.This came as a real shock,after hearing other creekers speak so highly of Grizzly CS.I recently called CS about the jointer/planer combo and this was the shortest call yet. I posted here about CS fatigue and got some names from other creekers,I'll try them if I call in the future.From everything I've learned about the 636,its a great machine. In the meantime I bought a used Bridgewood PBS540.

Ed

Go up the food chain a little. I was having some similar CS problems,and I complained about it on this site. A couple of weeks later, I got an unsolicited email from someone from Grizzly apologizing and offering to help. The issue is still unresolved, but I am confident they are going to make it right.

From my experience, rudeness and disinterest is outside of the Grizzly ethos. Moving a little higher up the food chain will convince you of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye Crane View Post
    Greg,

There is a whale of a end of year sale going on at Mini Max. Go to their
    website minimax-usa.com and check it out. I believe you want to read the notes about ordering, etc. before the end of the year. Make sure if you are interested you don't miss some small print.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on, all great saws that have been mentioned.

Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, Ca.

owner of a MM24 bandsaw
    At just under $2600 w/mobility it is very tempting, also watched a dvd from Laguna and that 16HD is also a sweet machine. It's going to be a harder decision than I thought, so much for a good nights sleep. If I was ready for a new lathe it would be easy, I would have ordered the big mustard monster when PM had their after thanksgiving sale. Thanks to you all for your input!

Grizzly 636

I'm not trying to steal this thread with complaints,but to point out that developing good products(636 bandsaw) at a great expense to grizzly,me researching it,made up my mind to buy it($2200 is a lot of money to me),had a couple more questions and then speaking to impatient CS staff,with minimal PR skills kind of makes you wonder.I'm in business and each job is a chance to get more work in the future,based on how well this job goes.(allows me to eat on a regular basis)The CS staff are the ones you have the most contact with after the sale,courteous,professional personel.I purchased a BS blade from Laguna($75.00) talked to "Tim" great experience,they have a platinum 12"J/P combo on sale,seems like a good deal,but do to CS problems mentioned here and on other threads about their poor CS record,I uncertain about dealing with them.I'll just keep the money,when they start acting like they really want my business,maybe I will reconsider.Its a shame because the grizzly 636 is a great bandsaw.
    Ed