Thread: Trestle dining table

Trestle dining table

I've been considering building a trestle dining table for a while now. I really wanted a rustic style table to suit our 200 year old home. I finally found some time to start it but unfortunately I only had a 4 days to build if I wanted it completed for thanksgiving. I found some walnut 5/4 and 2" stock on craigslist for $3/board foot. nice stuff and fully dried which was a good deal. The build and finishing went well and it was ready for our turkey dinner. Fun project and was nice to break from building kitchens. try to ignor the filthy floors.. drywall patching mess.
    Thanks for all the info on the finishing page here!
    Mark.

Mark, some nice work on that table! I love walnut - on anything! The grade of wood you used fits in well with the rustic look, and it was great that you were able to get it finished in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

Looks like you got a really nice finish, what did you use?

Nice job and in four days... why do we guys put ourselves in that position with everything from taxes... tags.. to Thanks-giving Dinner? Cause we are guys is the best answer I have been able to come up with.

The lighter color of the rustic looks great with the darker floor and doors. I like the mass in the feet and it should be very sturdy as I use a similar design on very sturdy work-benches I build. That is a solid foundation for everything above. How did you attach the bread-board ends?

Good job and on a tight schedule...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mark, some nice work on that table! I love walnut - on anything! The grade of wood you used fits in well with the rustic look, and it was great that you were able to get it finished in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

Looks like you got a really nice finish, what did you use?
    thanks John... I ended up using a wipe on oil finish but it had a uerethene in it also. Took a few coats to build up but gaveme the color I was looking for with a nice sheen.
    Mark.

4 day project. In my books thats lightning fast Mark.
    Great job on the table...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up sturdy and rustic...

Good Show Mark,
    Congrats on a handsome table, and making a tight schedule!
    Oftentimes folks carve away the lighter sapwood.
    I think it plays well here, with the rustic theme of your table.

Isn't it gratifying to finally tackle projects we have been wanting to build for a looong time?
    Well done,
    Walt
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 11-27-2009 at 8:49 PM. Reason: oopsy
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

I thought so too walt. I considered cutting out the sap and in the end thought it would give it more character.
    thanks.
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    Good Show Mark,
    Congrats on a handsome table, and making a tight schedule!
    Oftentimes folks carve away the lighter sapwood.
    I think it plays well here, with the rustic theme of your table.

Isn't it gratifying to finally tackle projects we have wanting to build for a looong time?
    Well done,
    Walt