Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
... I'm just trying to provide the facts.
The facts in this case are that a vendor that designs and builds excellent DC systems provides shop design support to customers. They probably do have a spreadsheet or other design aids into which they can input the type of tool and distance to determine the requirement for that location. Why on earth should they have to sit there with a slide rule and re-invent the wheel every time they need to design a layout???

Whether you can accept it or not, the 4" ports in my system allow enough air flow to suck up everything in site, including small animals. Example: I have two floor sweeps with 4" duct running to them. These are mounted at floor level, therefore the term "floor sweep". The 4" duct goes straight up the wall about 8.5' to a wye into the 6" main. There's a blast gate about half way up the wall. Anything within several inches of the sweep gets sucked into the system instantly.

I'd rather spend my time making sawdust and my money on woodworking tools than acquire the instruments to make measurements that do nothing more than second-guess a professional organization. I might be anal but I'm not that anal.