Thread: 2nd through 5th boxes made

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2nd through 5th boxes made

I'm having fun making boxes. My first box last month wasn't such a success, but I feel better about these. These are for Christmas presents and just received their first coat of Danish oil. From left to right, lacewood, bubinga, walnut and paduak, each with some figured maple in the top and bottom and the keys are maple. I gave the walnut box a little round over/bead on the top. I have to say I could get used to working with bubinga.

I'm thinking of a coat or two more of the Danish oil, then shellac or wax... or both? I'm not sure. I think I will post on the finish section.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Fine job and beautiful woods that you are using. I'll bet you see these gifts in use many years after the other Christmas gifts are used up or put away.

And… Thank you for posting pictures.

On my boxes I have used Danish oil only, buffing and waxing, and shellac, all with beautiful results.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Dean I would think you should feel good about these, very nice all around!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

what's that huge miter gage you have? I like the curliness, particularly with the grain of the lacewood.

Thanks everyone.

Brian, thanks for the tips. I have some scrap and will try some samples of each - wax, shellac... Sounds like you had good results with all.

Andrew, that miter gauge is actually part of the fence on my Festool MFT/3 workbench.

Looks like you have the system down pat, Dean!! Some nice looking boxes, and beautiful combinations. Personally, I think figured maple contrasts well with just about anything, and you certainly have done these right.

Great lookin' boxes Dean!

Nice work....
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Thanks Mike and John.

John, I agree with you 100% on the maple. It would probably look great with squirrel hide!

Mike I just pm'ed you.

Someone here advised me to get the book Box-Making Basics, by David Freedman, and I did. I'm nowhere near being the box making wiz, and there are guys here whose work is light years ahead of where I am, but it is a very good book with tons of ideas and technique. I honestly can't think of another wood working book that I was able to put to use so quickly. Once I don't have holiday gift giving influencing me to be very conservative, I want to try some more advanced techniques.

Very nice and simple.
    They look great!.

I know what you mean about bubinga, pretty hard but a nice wood indeed.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Excellent job a they look great. Very nice gifts under the tree......
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice looking work, bubinga is my favorite wood.

Great work and some beautiful wood.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln