Thread: Wood shop wiring book / reference recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I just wired my woodshop, not aware of any "woodshop wiring" books. But really, if you have an elecrician to advise you, what more do you need? I would keep the lights on a separate circuit...other than that it really like any other wiring job...size the circuits for anticipated loads.

+1 for Mr. Bregar,

I recently concluded a complete rewire of my garage also. Put lights on there own circuit and hopscotch your outlets. I ran four 220 (twist lock) drops @ 30amps on two circuits. I figured at most I'll have my TS and jointer running at the same time. I found the toughest part was running the 100amp subpanel, 70 feet, from the house's main.

*Money saver:
    I got both rolls of my 12/2 and 10/2 Romex at HD with a coupon (as electrical goes it's pretty much their only loss leader).
    I bought my cord from various retailers that offered an electrical "oops" bin (like a shorts bin but for cord).
    The plugs are going to cost you double at ANY of the box stores. Search eBay for both your male and female connectors & outlets. What couldn't be had on eBay I purchased from Galesburg Electrical.

Last edited by G. Brad Schmidt; 12-10-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

I guess since you have an electrician to ask specific questions too, what you need from us is advice as to what you need in the shop, then you can ask him how to do it.

I have have 4 circuits for outlets, 1 for lights , and 3 220v circuits (one breaker per outlet.

For the 120v outlets, I leapfrogged 2 circuits on 2 walls... as in. the north and west walls use circuits 1 and 2, but alternating 1,2,1,2,1,2 so one circuit doesn't have outlets next to eachother. I figured if I had them above a bench, i'd be less likely to overload that way.

And my outlets are 52" high, so i can lean a 4x8 sheet against the wall without covering em up, plus have benches and things. I did have some lower under windows though.

Oh, and I put some in the ceiling, so i guess that's 5 120v circuits.

Shaddy