Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta 8" VS grinder -- owners?

Delta 8" VS grinder -- owners?

Does anyone out there have (or had) the Delta variable speed 8" grinder? I picked one up last night, based on some good reports elsewhere, but I'm not happy with it upon the first spin of the wheels. They wobble badly -- not the kind that can be fixed with a dressing wheel. It's a side to side wobble, like it rehearsing for a hula-hoop contest.

I'm going to take it back tomorrow, and ask to test any unit they might want to exchange for it. But I'd like to know if anyone here has had a good experience with it.

Thanks!

I've had one for a few years, wasn't happy with it out of the box either. Severe vibration. I changed the wheels out for Norton white 120 and gray 60 and it's acceptable. Would probably be perfect if I balanced the wheels as well, but it's usable as is. I think Delta just shoots themselves in the foot with really crappy wheels.
    I assume you've checked how the wheels are mounted and if there is runout or vibration with the wheels off?

I have had one for almost 4 years and no issues, even out of the box. Maybe quality has dropped over that time. Today I would probably buy the slow speed grinder that Woodcraft has on sale a lot of the time.

Bought one last year - no problems. I changed out the wheels and run a 100 grit on one end and a buffing wheel on the other, but not because of wobble in the wheels. I asked one of the vendors who sells the OneWay balancer if there was a problem with any brand of grinder and he stated that the ONLY problems they had seen in the shop was bad wheels, though I suppose it could have been dropped.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Hi,

Sometimes it's the wheel you get or purchase. I've had good luck with the wheels which Woodcraft sells (I think that they're "camel" or something, but when I bought the Norton ones, I had to use the Oneway balancing kit to get them so that there was almost no wobble. If you are using the balancing kit on the Delta VS, you'll need specific steel washers to place the wheel on the shaft.

Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

A side to side wobble really shouldn't matter as long as the wheel is balanced, so +1 on the Oneway balancer.

I recently bought the Jet 8" grinder, whose wheel busted up when it started xxxxxxxxxxx That night, after processing the return to Amazon, I found the Delta at Lowes and bought it. However, after getting it home and messing with it for a while, I realized that I really liked the Jet much better. Much heavier duty, cast wheel covers vs stamped steel, etc, so I returned the Delta and ordered another Jet which has been great.

Right now, Amazon doesn't have it in stock and it doesn't appear to be coming up in searches: xxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 08-23-2010 at 5:02 PM. Reason: Links to for profit site deleted

A good way to test it is take the wheels off and run it without wheels. I am betting it will be as smooth as you could possibly want. The wheels are your problem.

Steve

I bought one in 2005. Bought the Oneway balancing system, and a 120g wheel and 80g wheel. Mine is just about perfect. I love it. But I use it on the slowest speed. I think like the others. Probably the wheels are your problem.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I bought one in February of this year and I have the same side to side wobble. I don't remember seeing it when I first set it up but after taking the wheel off, for some reason I don't remember why, I started seeing the wobble. I haven't changed the wheels yet. I want to but just haven't spent the money yet. I find it is hard to dress the wheel to get a smooth surface but that could be me and not because of the wobble. I have gotten a very sharp edge using the grinder but I am always bothered by watching the wheel move side to side. I've taken them off and put them back on hoping that that would fix it but no luck. My next move is to replace the wheels and see if that fixes it.

Question: Other than having too big of a space between the wheel and the wheel cover, is there any safety problem with temporarily putting a 6" wheel on the 8" grinder? It will take a few days to get Norton wheels in, but I need to use the grinder before that! LMK what you think. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ray Moore View Post
    My next move is to replace the wheels and see if that fixes it.
    I have that same wobble in the Camel wheel from Woodcraft that's on my 6" grinder, and it has been very hard to get a decent bevel with that wobbly wheel. That's why I'm sticking with Norton wheels from now on. The price difference between the Norton and the Woodcraft (Camel) wheels isn't enough to put up with the imbalance. I'm sure it all could be ameliorated by a balancing kit, but I really don't have the $$ to be getting one right now.

The problem with the Delta is not the wheels.

I have the Delta 8" VS grinder and have posted about this numerous times before. Mine also had severe side-to-side wobble in the wheels (1/4"-3/8" at least). If you spend some time playing with it, you will find that the problem is with the inner flange washers and the way they meet the shaft. The shaft has a groove right where the inner washer sits. That washer actually seats up against a tiny step in the shaft (I forget the measurements now, but the step is something like under 10 thousandths). Combine the tiny step on the mating surface with the sloppy forming of the hole in the washer, and the result is that the washer sits crooked, partially over the step and partially not. (When new, there may be enough edge for the washer to sit flat, but the edge will soon wear away slightly and leave the washer sitting crooked again.) It is hard to explain, but easy to see in person. Perhaps the idea was to let the washer float and rely on the wheel to square it to the shaft. That is a bad design, given that the wheel hubs are even worse, and rely on multiple plastic, sloppy bushings to fill the large hub hole.

My grinder originally ran somewhat true, but after the first time I changed the wheels, it went downhill very fast. Replacement inner washers don't help.

If you have this grinder and can still return it, I highly suggest you do so.

The best thing that can be done for this grinder is to add the Oneway balancing kit. The machined hubs in the kit will sit against the tiny shoulder and still hold the wheel true. You don't actually need the special, machined washers as indicated in some places. What you need to do is to reverse the left and right side Oneway hubs so that they are mounted outside in from the normal way. (This procedure is from the Oneway site -- you can find it for this model grinder if you search a bit.) The problem then is that the outer quick-change nuts won't fit. I replaced the quick-change nuts with normal threaded nuts (which I prefer anyway) -- you can probably find them at your local hardware -- and everything fits fine.

I still have some vibration problems that I have had trouble dressing out. It seems to be changing as the wheel wears a bit. Rebalancing them may help. The Oneway kit took things from impossible to useable, but far from smooth. That's a lot to invest in a cheap grinder to make it useable. If returning it had been an option, I would have done it.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    The problem with the Delta is not the wheels.

I have the Delta 8" VS grinder and have posted about this numerous times before. [snip]... That's a lot to invest in a cheap grinder to make it useable. If returning it had been an option, I would have done it.
    Oh, my, this is not good news. I ordered the Oneway balancing kit today, it'll be here tomorrow (Thurs.). I guess I'll set it up and see what happens, perhaps I'll get lucky. Thanks for the info, it'll be ammunition if I decide to take the grinder back.

The problem is just like ryan stated, I've been trying to tell people to have those grinders run in the store before taking them home.
    The flanges used to be machined and fit perfectly square on the shaft, that is what holds the wheel straight and square, just for the sake of a few more pennies of profit, they now are selling these grinders with these stamped out flanges .
    I have two grinders, the smaller one is a 60 year old Stanley, that just hums, sits loose on the bench and never moved, my other one is a 10" Taiwanese unit with the stamped out washers, when I went to the store I had them run the grinder, first one was walking (side to side wobble) second one was sitting still, but still not perfect I adjusted and fiddled around with it till it ran acceptable, it sat loose for a while on the bench, but I bolted it down so I had a unit to take along without all the loose pieces
    The oneway balancer is a good setup, but doesn't fit every grinder, you also need wheels with a at least 1" opening for the balancer to fit through.
    Have fun and take care

I bought one from Sears -- most of the grinders you come across today retailing under $200.00 are very similar to one another if not the same.

The Sears looks to be the same as the Delta except for the quick connect hub. The design of the shaft is poor. On the Sears you need to use the washer that came with it to achieve the best results. My friend found the quick connect on the Delta to have its own problems - both of them have a very short shaft.

The big problem I ran into was with the Norton stones!! I had to return two sets before I received a set that would work -- and even these were not perfect!! It was unbelievable. They all had a side to side wobble - and this was confirmed by the support people where I purchased.

One was a white stone and the other was one of the blue stones (3x?) -- when I complained about the first set they just sent me out another. When I complained about the second set the technical department got involved and started to check the stock and found out that many were defective! They finally got me two that were fixable. So if you are having problems don't just assume it is the grinder. Plus the bushing/reducers on the Norton stones are plastic and slide around making everything even more problematic

Norton like everybody else is moving production out of the US and the quality has suffered as they try to compete

So now somthinge as simple as buying a grinder and stones is a pain!