Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Motor upgrade for lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Schell View Post
    My Hitachi drive made a noise like that when I first configured it - after some research, I found that it is related to (and alleviated by) the "carrier frequency." I was able to adjust the setting for that which made the noise all but go away. I would recommend searching your manual for a similiar parameter for you drive.

Thanks Dave, I give that a try.

Why?? would you

want to go from a single phase to a 3 phase motor???? I can only think it's because you might have full hp rating at lower rpm, and that most 3 phase motors start slow and wind up to full rpm slower than an instant start capacitor start motors?? Help me out someone....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    want to go from a single phase to a 3 phase motor???? I can only think it's because you might have full hp rating at lower rpm, and that most 3 phase motors start slow and wind up to full rpm slower than an instant start capacitor start motors?? Help me out someone....... Jerry (in Tucson)
    My lathe had a single phase 110 volt 1/2 horse motor running a reeve's drive for speed control. Anyone with this type of setup will tell you that the lowest speed setting is wayyyyy to fast.

To answer your question, my response is two fold. First, I needed to slow down my lathe to a safer speed for larger turnings. Second, I needed more hp. I take large roughing cuts and my old 1/2 hp would stop.

The 3 phase is not an issue. I don't have 3 phase in my shop. However, my vfd converts the single phase to 3 phase for me. As far as the start up speed, the vfd has adjustments for that as well as how slow/fast it stops. They can be set from close to instantaneous start/stop, to a nice slow start/stop. What ever you like.

Does that help?

Done!!!

Thanks again everyone for your help. I got my lathe project completed today. I made a new motor mount and bolted it down. Installed the vfd inside my stand. I installed the fwd/rev, start/stop, and pot under the headstock. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. Too tired tonight. Thanks for all your input and help...