Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routers, which one?

Routers, which one?

Tonight I was working on the least fun project of my life, see my post in the Lumber Yard, in the "So you buy a black dog" thread for details, and I decided that I've had it with a crappy plunge router for my dovetail jig work.

The danged Dewalt 621 has adjusted itself for the last time. I haven't even considered buying a router for probably 8 years now, so I need a crash course in current models. I want two fixed base routers to use with a Leigh jig. They will likely never be in a router table, and really won't get much use other than the jig. Maybe a dado or something I guess, but nothing much.

I see that Amazon has Bosch 1617 EVS for $157.49 per copy. Is that a good choice, or will I kick myself for the next ten years if I miss something else?

I really like my Milwaukee body grip routers. The 5615 is fixed speed and you sometimes see the two base kit for $99 on Amazon.The 5616 has soft start, variable speed, and 2 1/4 HP. Either would be fine for use with the DT jig, but the 5616 is a little lighter.

The Bosch 1617 is my new favorite.

It is funny you mention disliking the DW621, it is my favorite router. I have owned a Bosch 1617, a PC fixed base, the monster PC 7539, a Hitachi, and a Freud FT2000E. I have never had my DW621 change height on it's own.

But I can understand wanting a fixed base for a dovetail jig. When the Hitachi KM12VC is ~100$ it is hard to beat. I think right now the Milwaukee is the best price/performance: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5615...1667939&sr=8-1

But for fixed base I don't think you can go wrong with PC, Milwaukee, or Hitachi.

Salem, I don't really dislike the DW 621, it's just not the ideal rought for a dovetail jig. Operator malfunction is likely to blame most of the time when it does something unexpected, but I'm just looking for a fixed base machine to eliminate the possibility of the plunge mechanism slipping. Something simple.

I'm kind of partial to a spindle lock, softstart, and as compact of a machine as possible. Does the Milwaukee have the lock? I also just read a bunch of bad switch feedback on the Bosch, but it was on Amazon, so who knows.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm off to look at the ones you mentioned.

The 1617 is a nice router with nice hardwood handles, but I found it to be a tad heavy for dovetail work so I sold it and got a lighter Hitachi M12VC and prefer that for DT work. If single speed will suffice, the MW5615 for $100 to $120 is really tough to beat....it's built like a tank, has an 11 amp motor, comes with the BodyGrip fixed base and an excellent plunge base. The 5616 offers variable speed and a 13 amp motor. The 1617 also needs an adapter to accommodate the standard 1-3/16" PC style bushings...the Hitachi and the Milwaukee both accept them.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I hate to say it but out of a few routers I own, milwaukee, PC, and Ridgid, I have come to the conclusion that I like my Ridgid the best. I've only had it a year so can't comment on durability but it has a lifetime warranty on all part including the motor. It's got soft start, variable speed, and comes with plunge base for a cool $200. I like the feel of it and surprisingly have been very impressed with it. I'm not a Ridgid fan at all and usually avoid supporting Home Dumpo or Lowes. But for a decent router at a good price I think you'd do well with the Ridgid.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the 5615. I have two. With the body grip you can pretty near operate the thing one handed. Light and powerful which is just the combination of characteristics for use with jigs. I have plunge bases for my larger Milwaukees and the motors are interchangeable so I use the 5615 in the plunge body for my Mortise Pal. Sweet. No spindle lock on the Mils which is fine by me. I don't care for the awkwardness of them; different strokes and all that ;-) The "feel" of the tool in your hands is pretty important for this type of use. Get your hands on the ones you are considering if at all possible.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-24-2009 at 9:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have 7 or 8 routers, 1- Bosch, 2 Milwaukee 5615s and the rest are Porter Cables, 690s and 1 big PC for the table.

I was using PC 690s for the Leigh jig but my results weren't always good. Problem was that the bits weren't always centered in the base plate guide bushing. Someone on here recommemded that I try a Milwaukee 5615 with the Leigh jig, saying that it was much easily to get the bit center on the Milwaukee router. Well I went out and got it and it works great with the Leigh jig, in fact it works so well I got a 2nd one. One has a straight bit in it and the other has a dovetail bit in it. They are set to the right height for the dovetails I cut and I don't have to mess around with the set up anymore. If you cut a lot of dovetails with the Leigh jig I strongly suggest you give the Milwaukee 5615 a try.

Last week Tyler Tool had the 5615-24 kit on sell for 99.00 with free shipping. I have no connection with Tyler Tool other than being a customer.

Bob

[QUOTE=I see that Amazon has Bosch 1617 EVS for $157.49 per copy. Is that a good choice, or will I kick myself for the next ten years if I miss something else?[/QUOTE]

I have the Bosch with both bases & like it a lot. If that price includes both bases, it's a steal, IMHO.

I own the bosch 1617EVS PK and the milwaukee body girp, smaller 1.75hp. The bosch is primarly in my router table but I take it out to use the plung base when needed, very seldom. For all of my hand held routing I would choose the milwaukee 100X over the bosch. The bosch is a really nice router the handles are nice and it has plenty of power. I had trouble with the switch early on, like everyone, but I permently fixed that. The reason I like the milwaukee better is because it is a little shorter making it less top heavy. And the strap for your hand for one handed use. That is the feature that makes this a real gem. You can strap it too your hand and rout with one and instead of having both hands on the router. I have one handed routed with the bosch in the past, just gripped it on the body instead of the handles. But that is hair raising and not recomended. If you loose your grip you could be in for a trip to the ER. Adjustments on the milwaukee are less complicated too. Only a lock and a knob to turn. No macro and micro adjustments like the bosch. I would test them each out before I buy.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 12-25-2009 at 3:38 PM.

See, it's a good thing I asked! I would have completly misses the Milwaukee. Think I'll go see one in person this weekend. I'm leaning towards two 5615's. Thanks guys!

I could sell you my Hitachi KM12VC. It's green and would fit right in with the other green stuff you have. I've never liked the plunge release mechanism so I never use it. But what do I know I replaced it with a Dewalt 621!
    I guess I must be inching my way up the router ladder to the Milwaukee too.
    The Plane Anarchist

Leigh, I thought you got rid of the Hitachi! The color is nice....

I trying something new for 2010 though, I want to mix it up a bit and being Christmas and all, a bit of festive red may be in order to accent the various shades of green. Dang, just realized with that logic that I really need something Powermatic gold too!

Don't worry, nothing is wrong with the 621 that's not caused by the idiot operating it. I just want a couple fixed base routers that I just leave set up for it. That way, I speed up dovetailing, and I won't forget to tighten the lock all the way, and it won't crawl up a 1/16", causing me to have to reroute pins, making loose joints. Glad it wasn't the tails!

I still have the multi base Hitachi. I'm going to put an add up at work after everyone gets back for the Holidays. It should sell, I paid $170 and will try to get a hassle free $100 out of it. It's really not a bad router but I just can't get used to the plunge lever.
    I think a little red in with the green is probably a good idea, unless you want to open the door to the Festool cult................
    The Plane Anarchist