Thread: Hoffman and Hammer workbenches.....anyone have one???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Asian woodworkers work on a beam and two sawhorses, or less. https://covingtonandsons.com/2020/08...mpbell-part-2/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Asian woodworkers work on a beam and two sawhorses, or less. https://covingtonandsons.com/2020/08...mpbell-part-2/
    My woodworking used to be done on a Black & Decker Workmate. There are a lot of woodworkers around the world who work on the ground. The bench is just a way to hold the work. It doesn't have to have four legs and a vise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm sure some still do. But I wouldn't be surprised if most, especially the younger generations, haven't gotten away from that. I know it was common to sit on the floor for most things, but since around WWII, they've largely migrated to western style tables and chairs. If you don't sit on your knees often, you probably lack the flexibility to work from them for long periods of time and still be able to get up afterwards. And I know there's some contention with the younger generations not being able to sit on their knees for long periods of time anymore, especially in more traditional and ceremonial settings.

You need to think about the time and effort saved working on an efficient bench. The extra time put into the bench will be repaid with each project. Then there is the pleasure of working on something without shortcuts or compromise.

A shoulder vise is most useful, holding wood vertically for dovetails etc. Its construction is simple yet commercial benches just slap a front vise on. Commercial benches also seem to compromise on the legs and stretchers, adequate perhaps but deep stretchers really don’t move. A tool tray is a huge time saver as is a reachable shelf on top of the stretchers.

The Swedish made benches have front and tail vises with a tool tray but are short.

If you want a bench without compromise you end up building it. Building a bench without a bench requires some working surface and lots of makeshift stops and holding. It does teach you why you need a bench!

When you commit to making ‘your’ bench the extra cost of good wood does not seem wasted. Visiting saw mills they have lots of good wood that is not furniture grade at reasonable prices, you can work with the faults on a bench. My hardwood bench cost $400 Cdn. for the wood, $30 Cdn. for each vise, (Lee Valley sale). Yes lots of time, more than a very simple bench. You buy more clamps. When you eventually drop dead the bench is worth something, people will want to buy it.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Seen while out and out ...
    Aisle/room #5 ( Blacksmith's Tools Stall)
    Springfield Road Trip, Bench for sale.jpg
    I was just thinking about how much good Irish Whiskey that barrel could hold...
    Springfield Road Trip, Bench, other end.jpg
    Face vise...
    Springfield Road Trip, Bench, tool well.jpg
    And a Proper Tool Tray...has square dog holes. by the way..
    Got distracted...
    Springfield Road Trip, Blacksmith's tools.jpg
    When I happened to look to my right...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

zombie thread!

Must have been a lack of Sharpening Threads going on?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use