Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supernova 2 chuck-need help finding a part

supernova 2 chuck-need help finding a part

So... I can't seem to find where I can purchase a replacement screw for this. It's the little one that locks it to the insert.
    Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated.
    Jess

It's a metric set screw. You should be able to get a replacement at any good hardware store.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Any idea on the size Ken? I can't seem to find any info on this.

I don't know much about this subject, but looks like it may be an M6 grub screw. Check this link. I may be looking at the wrong thing, and if so, I apologize.

Also, this link http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...%20Drawing.pdf . Does look like an M6x6 grub screw, again if I am looking at the right screw.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-06-2010 at 1:43 PM.

Right on. Thanks!

Be sure to use the little fiber thingy that goes in before the screw so you do not mess up the threads on the insert.

Sid

If you have an Ace Hardware around, just take the insert and/or chuck with you, they'll help you find the right thing. Our local ones have tons of different bolt/nuts/stuff, things I never even knew existed and have never seen in a borg.

Well, after 20 calls they finally picked up and told me that Lowes carries them in the specialty bins.
    Sid- what fiber thingy are you speaking of?

Jess, take a look at the second link that I posted. There is a small fiber plug that presses against the threads of the adapter. Or, you can get a grub screw with a nylon tip.

What John said.

Sid

The little fiber plug is the tiny red piece that came with the chuck that you probably threw out as junk. There often are two in the package.

My Lowes does not carry metric set screws (i've learned that many times). It seems like all the hardware places are dropping a lot of low-volume items lately. Must be a reflection of the economy. It's getting hard to find some parts around here. But any GOOD hardware store should have them. (Anybody have a good hardware left? Everything turned into ACO and the BORG.)

Since I never remove the inserts from my chuck's I am one of those who throw the little round thingy things away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    The little fiber plug is the tiny red piece that came with the chuck that you probably threw out as junk. There often are two in the package.

My Lowes does not carry metric set screws (i've learned that many times). It seems like all the hardware places are dropping a lot of low-volume items lately. Must be a reflection of the economy. It's getting hard to find some parts around here. But any GOOD hardware store should have them. (Anybody have a good hardware left? Everything turned into ACO and the BORG.)

Good luck finding anything at BLowe's or HD. I shop at Crozet Hardware or Blue Ridge Builders Supply, the locally owned stores. If you don't support the local shops, they will disappear too....

That is a pretty standard metric size. I can find that at any of the Ace or Tru-Value hardware stores locally.

We also have a local store that supplies bolts, screws, nuts and other hardware to the local paper and saw mills. When I need high quality stainless steel bolts and screws for use on an MR scanner, I have found them at BB&C.If Bitterroot Bolt and Chain doesn't have it ..you don't need it.

Check with some of shops that sell auto parts...machinery......places that sell truck parts...for the big rigs.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you threw the fiber disc away (or used it and it got all torn up), see if you can find a shotgun shell with #2 shot. I keep a supply on hand (took one shell apart for the pellets) and put one pellet under the grub screw each time I plan to run the machine in reverse. The grub/set screw keeps the faceplate or chuck from unscrewing when the lathe is running in reverse.

BTW, as mentioned above, the Nova chucks use 6mm set screws for both the insert and the safety grub screw. Since I don't change the inserts once a chuck is set up, I screw them in snugly, then Loctite the set screw in place.