Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Splitting Wood

Worlds fastest splitter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mohr View Post
    Since we're talking about splitting wood...I've always wondered...is it best to split it while it is fresh or let it dry in short log form and then split it? Also, what time of year is best for splitting...winter when it is cold and the wood is frozen or sometime else. Just curious...
    If the wood is frozen, it will be a bit harder on the axe's edge, not to mention the splitter's body. Besides, if it is frozen, it is too wet to burn.

On the other hand, splitting wood in cold weather is a good way to burn of that extra bacon one had at breakfast without over heating.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post

I always try to cut, split, and stack enough wood for my home and one more home....as I always find an elderly couple or woman that has no heat and we deliver wood to them so they have heat for the winter, free of charge.

Good on ya Dennis.

I split by hand and have been for 30 years. Its easiest for me to split wood when the ground is frozen. I stand the piece on the ground and there's less give on frozen ground. I try to get standing dead locust and cut it so no knots are in the middle of the piece. I see no advantage to splitting wood when its green. If the wood is too soft the maul gets stuck in it. Been burning a lot of wood this year.

Ahhhh, isn't locust just the best...? I've been burning all oak this year because of some downed trees last season. While oak is good, it is certainly second to locust. It splits easier, too. Since I'm close to out (gone through almost 3 cords this season already), I've gotta go get some more wood soon...guess which kind I'm going to get!

And locust splits better, too!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John alder View Post
    Okay... If I had the space and knew I could clear lots and make some money with firewood.... Then I'd use something like that.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    Changed my mind... I like this one.

Super Split Log Spliter
    Have a Nice Day!