Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the pen turners

Get yourself both a 60 deg. live and dead center. The point on the standard wood lathe center is to sharp and will move around in the hole in the end of the mandrel eventually ruining it and could result in out of round pens. There is a guy over on IAP (JohnnyCNC) that makes excellent bushings for the pens. They go between the centers and a mandrel is no longer needed. They are a little more expensive but worth it if you are going to be making a lot of pens. They also have a pretty extensive library on penturning
    Last edited by Rick Gibson; 02-02-2010 at 5:16 PM.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Penn State use to have a free CD on penturning. Well worth the price. you just had to request it. Don't know if it is still available. It actually is pretty good.

Hi Allen.

Thanks for the info about PSI references. I will for sure check it out today.

Hi Rick. Yes, a 60 deg. center is on the list. I just purchased a One-Way live center when it was on sale at Hartville Tool. I see they have just introduced a pan makers 60 deg. point for it. For $8, that is probably the cheapest thing you can get from One-Way.

Hi Paul. I'll check out the free DVD when browsing the PSI site.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 02-03-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken I have the Oneway livecenter. The 60 deg point works great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

PSI still has the dvd, I just got it back in December and is a good introduction to pen turning. Just have to pay the shipping.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ranum View Post
    PSI still has the dvd, I just got it back in December and is a good introduction to pen turning. Just have to pay the shipping.
    Matt, it is even better than that, free shipping. I ordered one. I think this is like giving the teenager a hit of dope just to try it....
    Best Regards, Ken

Woodsmith also has a podcast you can download, almost an hour long. There are a few questionable practices being done but all in all not bad and it is free.

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/200...art-to-finish/
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project