Thread: Waterstone sharpening questions

Waterstone sharpening questions

I sandpaper sharpen my irons and chisels; however, due to a lack of high grit sandpaper, I purcased a 8k grit japanese waterstone to put on my finishing polish.

I ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ss_T15_product

It came in the mail about 20 min ago, and I unpacked it, and I found all the directions were in Japanese. It comes in plastic case with holes on the bottom on the case and a sheet of styrofoam under the stone and between the bottom of the plastic case. On one side of the stone, the name of the company and the stone type are written.

Do I keep the styrofoam sheet in the pastic case while in use? Or is it for packaging only?

Can I use the side of the stone with the writing on it, or do I have to grind that side down or just use the reverse side?

It's an 8k grit stone, so when I need to flatten it, what grit paper should I use?

Thanks,

Chris

You can keep the packing materials for storage, if you like. Just make sure the stone is completely dry before storing. I use 100-150 grit paper when flattening my stones. Paper glued to a flat surface is best. I also recommend flattening before initial use.
    You can use any side of the stone. The writing will come off pretty quickly.
    Also, you probably know, but these stones only need a spray of water before using. No need to soak.
    Enjoy!!!

Can I use the side of the stone with the writing on it, or do I have to grind that side down or just use the reverse side?

I take that the writing is on one of the wide sides? not the narrow edge?Won't matter at all should come right off in the first use.If you're concerned just lap the stone on glass plate with some 220 320 ish wd paper.Which will also flatten it for you.A few quick swipes every use will keep it flat for you.All the rest sounds like packing and remove the stone from the box for use.HTH

Yea, the writing is on the flat side. Thanks for the info.

I also do not soak my 8k stone but spray it with water. You can get something called a nagura stone, which is very small, that you rub the surface of the 8k stone with before sharpening. Creates a nice slurry and aids with sharpening.
    Peace,
    kevin

This above all: to thine own self be true

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kelly View Post
    I also do not soak my 8k stone but spray it with water. You can get something called a nagura stone, which is very small, that you rub the surface of the 8k stone with before sharpening. Creates a nice slurry and aids with sharpening.
    I saw Charlesworth do that on his dvd. I wonder if they have those at Woodcraft.

They have this one. I'm pretty sure it's a synthetic one. There are real ones, but i'm not sure how much you'd notice a difference. I think Highland Hardware carries the natural stones.
    Peace,
    kevin

This above all: to thine own self be true

Japan Woodworker has these. They also carry the synthetic Nagura stones.

Thanks. I just ordered one from Rocker.

FWIW, I rarely use a Nagura with my 8000 stone. I just don't seem to get any benefit from it. I do use it when I feel like the surface needs a quick cleanup.

I never found a need for using a Nagura with my Shapton's. I did use one when I was using King brand waterstones.

Just for your info, instruction in Japanese says either side will be fine, but recommends the side that doesn't have any writing on it.

Also for polishing stone (5k and up), instruction recommends some soaking, like 10 minutes. But realistically speaking, I find soaking unnecessary. I do it when I'm in the kitchen with bunch of blades. I have time to soak them then, but for quick touch up, I don't. I simply spray some water and it's fine. Either way, don't get too concerned. They'll do just fine however you do it.