Thread: DMT Sharpening

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Campbell View Post
    I attended a one week course at Homestead Heritage when Paul Sellers was teaching it as my intro to woodworking. Same set up on DMT stones, in fact I went and immediately bought a course and an extra fine right after the class and am still using them.
    Unless Paul Sellers and Frank Strazza have changed things--they don't use DMT stones. They use, and sell, EZE Lap diamond stones.

Micro abrasive sheets, on a granite plate, or plate glass is the route I would take after the X-Fine DMT.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...04&cat=1,43072

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43513,51657

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...17&cat=1,43072

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Faurot View Post
    Unless Paul Sellers and Frank Strazza have changed things--they don't use DMT stones. They use, and sell, EZE Lap diamond stones.
    Michael, I guess they have changed. I saw Frank again at the LN Hand Tool Event in Austin last weekend and he said again that they were DMT Dia Sharp, 8x3. They even sell them in the store at Homestead Heritage.
    Have not met Paul.
    Tom Winship

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Michael, I guess they have changed. I saw Frank again at the LN Hand Tool Event in Austin last weekend and he said again that they were DMT Dia Sharp, 8x3. They even sell them in the store at Homestead Heritage.
    Thanks for the update. The last time I was there, perhaps 1-1/2 - 2 years ago, they were selling the EZE Lap stuff. I wound up getting some DMT stones myself, as they're easier to find than the EZE lap ones.

Well, just as an update. I ended up buying the DMT extra-extra-fine. I figured I'd been happy with them so far, why change now.

I've had a chance to sharpen two two-cherries chisels with it, and it appears to work. It isn't the huge difference in sharpness I was expecting, but it does allow for a noticably sharper edge. I am a bit confused though, as I expected a visually finer finish to the cutting edge; however, the scratch pattern, to me, is visually indistinguishable.

I'll try it on the blade for my LN #4 tomorrow and see what happens.

thank you for all your help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff phillips View Post
    I went down to my local woodcraft store over lunch to see what they have, and it looks like I have two options based off of what I have been told here and also in store.

I can get the extra-extra-fine DMT plate for about $89, which is supposedly 8000grit. This would be my ideal option; however, in looking at that plate, it seems awful smooth, and makes me wonder if there is too much of a jump between the extra fine and the extra extra fine, and if I need to use something in between.

The other option, is to get a 8000grit water stone. The shaptons look nice and I have heard raves about them; however, they need to be flattened and the flattening plate is around $300. The stones themselves are "only" around $80. This begs the question, can I flatten the shapton 8000grit with one of my current DMT stones? If so, what effect does it have on the DMT? My understanding is that with the shapton, it really only needs to be sprayed with water, not dunked and soaked, so I could live with this.

Can anyone offer an insight into the questions on my two options?
    For flattening a water stone a piece of granite tile and some 150 - 220 grit sandpaper works fine. Wear a dust mask when doing this. A lot less in cost than a special flattening plate that so many have had the experience of not being flat.

I did mine yesterday and it is amazing how much faster and better blade sharpening is. I do not flatten as often as most. But if you want the ultimate in sharp blades to make smooth shavings every little bit helps.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For flattening a water stone a piece of granite tile and some 150 - 220 grit sandpaper works fine. Wear a dust mask when doing this. A lot less in cost than a special flattening plate that so many have had the experience of not being flat.

I did mine yesterday and it is amazing how much faster and better blade sharpening is. I do not flatten as often as most. But if you want the ultimate in sharp blades to make smooth shavings every little bit helps.

jim
    Jim,
    It sounds as if you flatten them dry. I usually end up doing this wet, since I hat the granite plate a bit every time I go back to touch up an edge. No fine dust if you do it wet...and I don't bother with wet/dry paper.

Mark