Thread: Thousand cankers disease of black walnut could wipe out many trees

Thousand cankers disease of black walnut could wipe out many trees

I cannot imagine the possibility of black walnut (Juglans nigra) disappearing from my shop, more than I can imagine not having a shop to practice the craft I love. But that is exactly what could happen if the pest that spreads thousand cankers disease has its way. Already, the disease has been devastating to black walnut trees in Western states.
    I invite you to read the rest of the article, including the recommendations by the Missouri Department of Conservation.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-11-2010 at 1:29 PM.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Do you have a link?

Google "Thousand Cankers". Lots of info there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Dan,

Sorry I am just now responding - I have been in the shop. PM sent to you. Thanks!

Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-11-2010 at 1:30 PM. Reason: To add one sentence.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

This reminds me of the Western Pine Beetle which has devastated pine trees in Western Canada. MILLIONS of acres of trees in British Columbia and Alberta have been killed. B.C. is a huge Canadian exporter of lumber and pine is one of the main species.

Of course the blame goes to global warming(doesn't everything) but this got started 10 or 15 years ago when it surface in a small area in a Provincial Park. The normal solution was to burn the affect trees but the environuts created the usual stink and voila!!!-disaster.

I don't believe that these deseases can't be eradicated or controlled by science. They can do almost everything else. Of course it would probably means large areas would have to be sprayed and the environuts would be against that too.

But on the other hand they want more housing for the homeless. Aren't houses built mostly out of wood?

Fred Mc.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    ........Aren't houses built mostly out of wood? Fred Mc.
    In this part of the world they are. However, in other parts of the world they aren't mostly built of wood. In some of the tropical climate areas they're built mostly out of concrete and steel and iron. Even the moldings are made of concrete. Rafters, for the most part, are fabricated from re-bar.

In the Philippines, where I've spent quite a bit of time, most of the better homes have very little wood in them. The exception would be doors. I've seen cabinet doors there in middle class homes that are literally only a shell of what they originally were. Must be the termites.

Darn bugs all over the world causing problems of one kind or another with wood!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

This reminds me of the Western Pine Beetle which has devastated pine trees in Western Canada. MILLIONS of acres of trees in British Columbia and Alberta have been killed. B.C. is a huge Canadian exporter of lumber and pine is one of the main species.

Of course the blame goes to global warming(doesn't everything) but this got started 10 or 15 years ago when it surface in a small area in a Provincial Park. The normal solution was to burn the affect trees but the environuts created the usual stink and voila!!!-disaster.

I don't believe that these deseases can't be eradicated or controlled by science. They can do almost everything else. Of course it would probably means large areas would have to be sprayed and the environuts would be against that too.

But on the other hand they want more housing for the homeless. Aren't houses built mostly out of wood?

Fred Mc.
    Fred, I read the provided link about the insect attack. It seems like spraying kills the bugs that are causing the fungus to flourish from their attacking of the tree, but once the bugs are dead, the fungus/canker keeps on going. The article recommended tree removal as the only cure once you've ID'd a sick tree[s]. Don't know if you'd have to burn the tree once you felled it to prevent the spread of the fungus, but it seems likely.
    I would be totally bummed if we lost Black Walnut as a usable species, it's like an old friend to us....

Thumbs down

Bogus. The beetle's been around as long as the trees. More information here:
    http://ext.nrs.wsu.edu/forestryext/f...ternbeetle.htm