Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plow plane on the cheap

Plow plane on the cheap

Looking over my "working arsenal," I don't have a plow plane and I see a need for one. Ultimately, I intend to buy a LV plow, but I have other things I want to get first from them.

That leaves me with trolling ebay and/or getting creative.

From ebay, what is a plow plane that could be had for a reasonable price? I'm thinking maybe a 45, but I'm flexible. Thoughts?

For getting creative, I've considered:

1) trying to use a router plane as a plow. Doable?
    2) Grinding a special blade or two for a 78 and using that as a plow. Crazy?
    3) Making/buing a chisel plane (LV version) and using that. HOw bad of an idea is that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    Looking over my "working arsenal," I don't have a plow plane and I see a need for one. Ultimately, I intend to buy a LV plow, but I have other things I want to get first from them.

From ebay, what is a plow plane that could be had for a reasonable price? I'm thinking maybe a 45, but I'm flexible. Thoughts?

For getting creative, I've considered:

3) Making/buing a chisel plane (LV version) and using that. HOw bad of an idea is that?

Router as a plow would work, but you would want to attach a fence and pre-score your work.

Special blade for the 78 would work for a very shallow plowing.

The chisel plane idea most likely would be a disaster.

A plow needs something in front of the blade to prevent tear out. It also needs something for support behind it.

I have an old plow that is most likely what you will find is the cheapest way to acquire a plow plane. It is one of the wooden models with a skate to support the blade.

Plow Plane.jpg

It is made for plowing It can be made to do a rabbet or with pre-scoring and a batten it could do a dado. I am not even sure what one sells for these days. I was going to list it on ebay, but didn't get around to it. The blade sizes are limited to about a half inch maximum.

A Stanley 45 is a much more versatile plane and likely much less frustrating. Once you start plowing, you will also want to make beads, reeds and flutes.

In my opinion your money would be better spent on a newer plane.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-23-2010 at 1:55 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm thinking maybe a 45, but I'm flexible.
    A Stanley 50 would likely be cheaper and, I'm told, is a good plow plane.

Might be doable, but perhaps not optimum. Router planes are better at cleanup.

Probably not a very good idea. You want the skate that a plow plane has to give you bearing down in the groove.

See answer to #2.

If your budget is tight, take a piece of scrap and mark a 1/4" wide groove in an edge with your marking gauge (or, better if you have one, mortise gauge). Bear down good and hard on the gauge (run it down the board several times) to get good deep scribe lines. Now, take your best 1/4" chisel, and see if you can get a groove started with that. If so, you may have solved your plow plane need for the short run.

When you have the money, the LV plow is a dynamite tool. You'll feel like you're waving a magic wand at the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A plow needs something in front of the blade to prevent tear out. It also needs something for support behind it.
    I've always wondered "why." Too much tear out would obviously be a problem if you end up with a misshaped groove, but why else would you care? You're gonna put a panel in there and you'll never see the groove again.

Blog Entries
    I've always wondered "why." Too much tear out would obviously be a problem if you end up with a misshaped groove, but why else would you care? You're gonna put a panel in there and you'll never see the groove again.
    The tear out would not be so much the area you were working as the area around where you are working. "Blow out" may have been a better term to use than tear out. The edge of where the panel is inserted could be ragged or chipped and the area beyond the end of the groove could also suffer some "blow out."

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was going to post on this separately, but I just bought an old grooving plane that was originally part of a tongue and groove set (the tongue plane is long gone). I have wished that I could get a nice plow plane. However, I realized that what I really wanted it for was to put grooves on the edges of boards (for frame and panel type projects). I bought one from a dealer that needs some work, but it should be exactly what I need. It cost $18 plus shipping. There are a lot of those out there.

It wouldn't be difficult to make one like that, but the irons generally have a v-groove on the back that matches a v on the skate. That prevents lateral movement of the iron. If you could figure out how to cut the v-groove you would be in business, or perhaps you could just buy the blade(s) from e-bay.

Jim

Also, a 45 or any of those types have an infinitely large mouth. There's nothing in front of the blade except skates on either side.

I have a Craftsman-branded Sargent-made "1080" combination plane. You can also get these branded under Wards or Fulton. I think these were as good as, or better than, a Stanley 45, and when they show up on ebay, people don't know whether to buy them or go blind. If you're looking for a good user that's inexpensive, it is one avenue, as long as it has blades.

The 78 will need adjustment for each pass to function as a plow plane. I remember a few years ago I really thought I had something- I bought a stack of NOS #78 irons and took the home and ground some molding profiles on them, really took my time, made 3 really nice ones. Then I realized that I would have to adjust the plane for every single pass, and the irons got to a point where they would flex because they were so far out.
    A #45 would make a great plow plane but the cutters will cost more than the plane. A 45 and a set of straight cutters will probably be 60-100 before shipping. A #50 beading plane with the straight cutters might be a bit less. Stanley made a few light duty plow planes that i have seen go for cheap. Check the Pat Leach Blood and Gore. I have seen sets of irons for wood plow planes sell for 20-35 and good usable planes for 30-50. Record made a small plow plane i dont know, the 044 or something, but i've seen those go complete for 60.

Is $62 cheap? I spotted this by accident the other week and have been thinking of picking one up.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13602

Bill

Since I am in the market for a plow as well. The wooden planes on eBay go for around $50 for a wedge arm type, screw arms have been going for between $50 and $100 although most are just over $50. The biggest downside to the woodies on the bay is that most only come with one blade and you might have a hard time finding other blades that work in the one you get.

The Record 44C and comparable Stanleys are all over the board. Lots of variables with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusnak View Post
    Is $62 cheap? I spotted this by accident the other week and have been thinking of picking one up.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13602

Bill
    I have several of the rosewood planes from Japan Woodworker and was interested in this one. Then I read a warning that it not robust enough for any but the lightest work. I was just checking and cannot find the review.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    I have a Craftsman-branded Sargent-made "1080" combination plane. You can also get these branded under Wards or Fulton. I think these were as good as, or better than, a Stanley 45, and when they show up on ebay, people don't know whether to buy them or go blind. If you're looking for a good user that's inexpensive, it is one avenue, as long as it has blades.
    +1

I picked up a Wards Master #45 in very decent shape, with more than 20 cutters, in the (very tatty) original box for less than $50 this summer on eBay. I lapped and honed the 3/4" straight iron and put it to work cutting rabbets in some pine panels that became a tool chest. I've seen a Stanley 45 up close, and apart from the branding couldn't tell the difference between it and my Wards Master.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusnak View Post
    There's a seller on eBay who will sell you one even cheaper... provided you're willing to wait for it to be shipped from China. I've been really impressed with the Mujingfang bench planes he sold me a few months back -- especially the bang/buck ratio.

I looked long and hard at that plow plane, but decided against it since my chisels are Imperial and tool slaving is a Good Thing(tm). If that's not a driving issue for you, then I'd say you could try it out for very little risk. At the very least, it's purty, and will likely feel nice in the hand. The irons will need some work to put in order, but they'll hold a keen edge -- assuming they're anything like Mujingfang's bench planes.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Model 45s

I also bought a Model 45 from eBay. It was a Montgomery Ward model 45, and aside from the fact that it did not have the "Stanley" cast into the side, it is identical to the Stanley version.

My was in like new condition, and it came with all the accessories and cutters of the standard kit.

I paid $140 for it shipped. This is a little more than wooden planes, but it is about half of what comparable Stanley planes were selling for at the time.

If you need only a few cutters, or one cutter, these planes can be had cheaper too.

--Matt Rogers

Like Brian, I also had considered the muji plough and decided against it due to some poor reviews (sorry I can't provide exact comments). Their rabbet is also not recommended but I have several of their other planes and they are great, especially those with HSS blades. Good blades for home built planes too.

Jim B