Thread: Sanding with planer

Sanding with planer

I took a gamble about a month ago and picked up a Belsaw 985 planer with 5 HP marathon motor for $50. It had a broken switch on it and I think that scared off the other bidders. When I got home I put a plug on the 220 motor and it fired right up. I had an electrician hook up the A-B switch I had on hand. I have a set of resharpened blades for it too.
    My question is; does anyone have experience using this unit with the sanding accessory? Is it satisfactory? I have a person who wants 700 sq. ft. of salvaged oak flooring sanded. I bought the unit with the sanding capability in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You got a deal on that machine. I have an older model that does a great job, but I paid quite a bit more for mine. I don't understand the sanding capability, did yours come with a drum? Or do you plan on buying/buildiing the sanding drum?

Sanding

Yes, I got one heck of a bargain. The belsaw kit comes with a drive feed gear that increases the speed to 20' per minute. I think that a faster feed rate would be necessary to prevent too much removal of wood. I am wondering how this unit would compare to a dedicated drum sander. It may be the best $90 I ever spent; or would it be better spent on a dedicated drum sander?

It's a bit ironic, you asking this with your last name.

I had the same Belsaw unit over 20 years ago. It did fine for planing and molding. The sanding, not so good. The sanding pads were a real PITA to setup and they loaded up quickly. I don't recall the cutterhead speed but I believe it is way too high for sanding. If you have the sanding pads already, give it a try. If it is something you are considering purchasing, I would save your money for something else.

Sanding

Thank you Steve. I think I'll look for something more suitable. If I can snag a bargain planer I should be able to find a good deal on a drum sander.