Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNA question

DNA question

I haven't tried DNA soaking yet. I have read something about it, but not sure of the entire process. Would a galvanized metal container be an acceptable vessel for the process? Thanks for any guidance.

I have been just using a 2 gal bucket and lid that I picked up at Home Depot in the paint dept.and it is plastic,without a problem

Bob - make sure that what ever you use can be sealed or all of your expensive alcohol will evaporate!

I use the bottom portion of a plastic contractor's trash bag - heavier gauge plastic - and tie wrap it to prevent evaporation.

Here is a link to Dave Smith's DNA process - should cover a lot of the questions you may have.
    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_473.shtml
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use a container from Wally world like a deep tote. I seal the top with foam weather seal.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ditto to all these guys! But my question is, is there a set estimated time to soak?

Steve - when I first started soaking in DNA - I had so many pieces that needed the DNA bath that I was running them through in 2 hour shifts. Found out that a longer soak probably would have worked better as some of the turnings cracked. Course, back then I didn't realize the importance of having the turning a consistent thickness. Neat thing about the DNA bath - it doesn't hurt anything to let things soak. I have left turnings in the DNA for days - no problem!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 02-28-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If you use a 2 gal bucket with a tight lid and say fill the bucket with 1 1/2 gal of DNA about how many bowls can you soak in that DNA before you have to buy more? That stuff is expensive and that would really get expensive if you had to go out all the time and buy more.So for the experienced DNA users about how long would 1 1/2 gals last in a 2 gal bucket? 2-4 bowls 5-8 bowls more/less.I'm looking for a rough estimate.
    Donny

Donny, a wet bowl doesn't soak up that much DNA. Let's say you had one and a half gallons of DNA which will weigh around 10 pounds. If you soak a bowl weighing 2 pounds, the bowl might soak up 0.1 to 0.2 pounds of DNA (but there will also be some water displaced into the DNA) and perhaps another 0.1 pounds of DNA will be lost as it is handled after soaking. All this mumbo jumbo suggests one should be able to soak perhaps 20 or 30 bowls before half of the original DNA is gone. Lots of assumptions here but should give you some idea-good luck.

Thanks, I have been wanting to try using DNA but @ almost 16.00 gal. I wanted to see if it was really worth it.Do you think that 2 gals. would be enough to start out with?
    Donny

If you buy it in a 5 gal container you can get a better price per gal. Well at least in Kansas that is the case. Here, they want 17-19 dollars for a single gallon and my local Sherwin Williams store (paint store) orders me in a 5 gal bucket for less than $50 including tax.

Keep in mind, though, that the bucket doesnt have a removable lid and so you wont be able to use this container as your soaking container.

FYI

Actually, you can do a lot with one gallon if your turnings will fit into something like a 0ne gallon zip-lok bag. Just put the item in the bag, pour in the DNA, seal, and wait (best to put all of this into a plastic container to hold DNA if there are leaks). After soaking, remove the item and pour DNA back into container (sure need a big funnel to keep from making a mess). DNA is not toxic so not a big deal if you spill a little-just the cost. Hope this makes sense.

I use a 5 gal bucket with a lid that seals tight. I just bought a 5 gal can of DNA from the local paint store for $50, much cheaper than single gallons.

Bob,

I don't think a metal bucket would be a good idea, I don't actually know why, but it just seems like it may react with the DNA.

I use a 3 gallon plastic kitty litter container that seals up tight.

I soak'm for at least 24 hours, but usually longer. Then there was the one I forgot about... it was in there for nearly a month.

After the soak I let them drip dry and put them in a paper bag for a month. After that they sit on the shelf until their weight stops changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Chester View Post
    Bob,

I don't think a metal bucket would be a good idea, I don't actually know why, but it just seems like it may react with the DNA.
    FWIW, Dave Smith's webpage on DNA soaking states the following:

Containers used for storing soaking alcohol should be non metallic. Alcohol is about 95% alcohol and 5% water when purchased. As bowls are soaked in it, the moisture content of the solution will increase, which, along with other impurities leached from the wood will attack metal containers.

Thanks for all the help folks. I found a plastic bucket with a sealing lid and will use it. In fact I have 2 rough-outs in the soup right now to take out when I get home