Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone convert from propane to natural gas?

Matt, we did the propane to NG conversion several years ago, and we are glad we did. Vectron paid to get the gas to my house. I paid to get the furnace converted back to NG ($25 IIRC, heating contractor wanted to keep our account and they did several along our road). I paid the contractor to bury the line to the shop and convert the shop heater. He got carried away with the trencher when doing the NG line to the shop, snagged the copper propane line and damaged the heater. New heater at no cost. I had a gas log to convert. It seemed a little expensive, but the result was great. Yeah, I'd make the change again without hesitation.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We received a letter today from the gas utility that serves our general area that they are looking to build a gas main down our road. I'm all for it but am wondering about the costs of converting over. We've got the following gas appliances:

- Maytag dryer which we have the parts to convert back since we had to have a conversion kit installed when we bought it.
    - Richmond high-efficiency (uses a PVC stack) water heater about 6 years old, purchased as a propane unit. We talked tonight that if this isn't convertible we should look at a tankless unit.
    - Trane 90 percent efficiency furnace about 1 year old. I'm REALLY hoping this is convertible!
    - Gas fireplace insert which I know stated on the box can't be converted so we'll have to replace it. Luckily these aren't terribly expensive. We probably just missed the winter clearance at Lowes which is how we got this one at 40% off.
    - Shop furnace which I installed a conversion it in and have the parts to convert back

Luckily when the house was built they assumed that one day this would happen so the house is plumbed in black pipe. However they brought the propane in on the opposite corner of where I assume the gas company would want to come in.

Our house sits a couple hundred feet off the road. I'm assuming we'll have to pay the cost of running the line from the road to the house. The shop is 100' or so behind the house. I'm wondering how much all that is going to cost me?
    Check with manufactur for conversion kits.
    Some water heaters may not convert, most dryers do, the Trane should, check before they run the line.

We do this all the time here at work, I work for a nat gas supplier here in Minn
    Let me know if I can help.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.