View Poll Results: What is your job "status?"

Voters
750. You may not vote on this poll
  • Work full time from MY shop

51 6.80%
  • Work full time from A shop (not my own)

21 2.80%
  • Work full time (not woodworking-related)

474 63.20%
  • Work from home (not woodworking-related)

47 6.27%
  • Retired (from woodworking or similar)

11 1.47%
  • Retired (from non-woodworking or similar)

134 17.87%
  • In school

12 1.60%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your job?

I am a Relliability Engineer for Manistique Papers, Inc, a small recycled paper mill in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. I worked here for 22 years. I have a BS in mechanical engineering from Michigan Tech.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

pricing analyst

I work in the Mechanical Power Transmission industry as a pricing analyst. I work with domestic and overseas manufacutrers.

Thanks

Brian

Professor

I'm an assistant professor of mathematics at a small public liberal arts college (Christopher Newport University). I teach and do research in the area of infinite dimensional non-associative algebra.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Been in the Air Force for 16 yrs so only 4 more to go We're done moving, hopefully, and I finally have a real shop vs. a garage or carport.

Contract aerospace airframe structures stress analyst currently assigned to the Boeing 787. Before that I worked the 777 freighter and before that the Lockheed F-35, and so on and so on.

Been self employed since I was 20 Been working for myself for 23 years. 8 years owned my own machine shop and sold it. Then as a independent rep for several machine tool co. and now the last 13 years as a private inspector. Its been a fun ride.

Alan

In a past life I was a Quality and Manufacturing Processes Technician. Not being content with living in a tiny office I moved toward self employment and now have 2 businesses. I do a lot of subcontract and handyman work for Commercial and Residential customers. I spend more than half my time in the shop, for both work and personal projects. The second business is a bakery I have started recently with my wife... I enjoy the challenges of both occupations, they are more related than you would think. Lots of lay out and design go into some of the cakes we do, similar to what goes into a woodworking project.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-03-2010 at 5:58 AM.

Woodworker

Retired from the U.S. Army Infantry in 2008. Got to see the world, however, in some cases I could have passed on that experience. Decided it just wasn't fun anymore after some of the things I'd seen and it is a young man's game. I've been woodworking since I was a child and apparently my military experience and love of woodworking were a perfect fit to be a Government woodworker on an Army post. Basically, I get paid to do what I love.

9. VP of Tax

I'm a CPA and VP of Tax for a multinational higher education company. We own universities around the world. I enjoy woodworking to get away from the number crunching and paper pushing.
    Dave B - Parkville, MD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Full time Family Physician, Geocacher, and Scoutmaster. I woodwork on the occasional weekend, when I have the time.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Own my own business building custom, carbide tipped tools since 1981. Do a lot of failure analysis on saw blades, router bits, etc. Couple patents on using advanced materials for cutting tools. Starting to sell woodworking tools online. .

Now run the business all day and build the web site at night. A little embarrassed because my woodworking isn’t as pretty as what I see here. I do some volunteer, handyman style woodworking and that is much appreciated if it is just good and solid.

tom
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-03-2010 at 5:57 AM.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Air Force active duty cyber law attorney.

I work in IT as a senior system adminstrator. Been in the field for 15 years now. This is my second career, first one was a mechanic. This is a lot cleaner. Been woodworking since I was a kid, started when my dad gave me a pocket knife when I was a cub scout. I started carving faces and things into just about any stick I could find. Went on to wood shop in Jr. High and High school. Built lots of skateboards, key hooks, pencil boxes and other similar small projects. Didn't do much for lack of tools from high school until age 39 when I started building my shop... What projects I did in the interim time kept my interest up, and Norm Abram certainly didn't help. My wonderful bride urged me on to pursue a shop, and woodworking, so I did...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I'm an architect working out of my house for myself. Getting layed off 2 years ago was the best thing that could have happened to me.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I teach and do research in the area of infinite dimensional non-associative algebra.

Well ... naturally ... I do THAT, too !

I figured it was a given. I was SURE we all did

[okay. THAT sounds pretty cool, Chris !!]