Thread: Gerstner and Jennings tool boxes

Gerstner and Jennings tool boxes

Fellow Creekers,

This weekend I found a very nice Gerstner box as well as a Jennings tool box. You can see pictures here: http://bit.ly/GUZP4

Does anyone have any information on the Jennings box? Clearly the drawer handles are not original. Does anyone have any photos to help me replace them appropriately?

Thanks,

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Nice finds, I always wondered about the mirror in those tool boxes.

I did a quick search on the C E Jennings Tool Box. There was one picture of an old one that was not clear enough to tell much. Looked like they may have a scroll pattern similar to the side handles.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gerstner is still in business making toolboxes and they sell replacement hardware for older models. As far as the mirror goes it may just be the machinist answer to the saw nib. [EDIT] Better yet you can read the bit about the mirror from Jim Tolpin's book here.

You can usually tell a Jennings toolbox by the ornate side handles they used. There are a few pics of Jennings toolboxes online 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    ...and if you like the look of a machinist tool chest then you might enjoy this 2-page thread which features many tool photos including a Jennings chest.
    Last edited by Jeff Burks; 04-04-2010 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Adding links

The mirror is in case a machinist got a chip in his eye. Very necessary.

The "metal chip in the eye" story is a wives tale just like all of the saw nib stories one often hears.
    Here is a quote directly from the Gerstner website:
    Member’s Forum
    This is an area of our newsletter where we publish interesting notes, comments and questions from the membership. You may have a suggestion on a topic that you would like to share with your fellow members. Or, you may send in a question that you would like to see published in this space.

The Question for this issue comes from Mr. E. K. Morley of Boone, North Carolina.
    He wrote, “What is the historical purpose of the mirror mounted inside the chest top lid?”

The Company Response:
    The mirror was first installed in the early 1900’s on some of the very earliest Gerstner chest designs. In those days, very few manufacturing and/or tool & die companies had indoor plumbing. In other words, there were few companies with lavatories (with wash basins and mirrors) for toolmakers and other factory workers to use to clean up at the end of the day. The “mirror” mounted inside a Gerstner tool chest provided the wherewithal for the chest owner to check his appearance and comb his hair before heading home (or, perhaps, going in to ask the boss for a raise). At various times over the years, we have introduced a few tool chests without including a mirror. Interestingly enough, the feedback from customers has been, “Without a mirror, the chest doesn’t look like a Gerstner.” So . . .you may notice that virtually all new model Gerstners feature a “mirror” inside the tip lid.
    It's really very clever marketing. It was a way to distinguish their product from the competition, and as you can see it became almost a trademark identifier. I had posted the link to Tolpin's book earlier in hopes that people would read the section about the mirror rumors and have a good laugh.
    Last edited by Jeff Burks; 04-04-2010 at 7:21 PM.

So,what mirror isn't a necessity if you do get a chip in the eye? Seems to me that it would be good to have one. This was told to me in the 60's by a great old machinist in his 70's.

They might have put them in there for primping,but they are useful for other things,too. At least that's what machinists used them for.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-05-2010 at 9:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    So,what mirror isn't a necessity if you do get a chip in the eye? Seems to me that it would be good to have one. This was told to me in the 60's by a great old machinist in his 70's.

They might have put them in there for primping,but they are useful for other things,too. At least that's what machinists used them for.
    No doubt they are useful for many things, including primping, but its hard to argue with a great old-timer machinist who told you about the chip in the eye.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I ordered some felt from Gerstner and will be redoing the nasty green felt as soon as my order comes in.

Thanks again,

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

If you were working in a converted cow barn in 1870 with no plumbing,I'm sure a mirror would be nice. But,if I get a chip in my eye,I'm heading for the nearest mirror. Had a number of hot chips bounce off my polycarbonate eyeglasses. Fortunately,none got in my eye lately. Years ago,few wore any safety glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    If you were working in a converted cow barn in 1870 with no plumbing,I'm sure a mirror would be nice. But,if I get a chip in my eye,I'm heading for the nearest mirror. Had a number of hot chips bounce off my polycarbonate eyeglasses. Fortunately,none got in my eye lately. Years ago,few wore any safety glasses.
    No doubt having a convenient mirror is a definite plus when dealing with hot metal chips.

That jennings looks like a silver flatwear chest to me.
    Ross

I happen to have one of those Jennings tool boxes like the ones shown in the numbered pictures. I thought at first (1960's) that it was hand made,being rather crude here and there. However,I bought a reprint of one of those 1877(?) Montgomery Wards catalogs,and there it was. most definitely a Machinist's chest. And,mine HAD been full of mostly shop made 1 off machinist's tools that,unfortunately,I could not afford in my early 20's. I got some of them.

About the saw nib: The nib is actually to tie a string onto the front end of the saw,so it doesn't slip off. This goes around a slotted stick that is put on over the teeth. The other end of the stick is tied onto the bottom of the handle.

I have seen wooden planes with saw teeth imprints all down their sides from rough wagon rides (ever ride in a wagon on rough ground ! Hold on to your kidneys !!!) because the saws were not sheathed in the tool chest. Carpenters also carried their tools in a big basket in the 18th.C..

This is the real purpose. The nib is not a nail cutting tooth,a front sight,or a multitude of other things ascribed to it. We made saw sticks for the Carpenter's Yard and other places. I think you can find them listed in very old catalogs of the period,but can't recall now.