Thread: Just finished my workshop!

Just finished my workshop!

Hi,

On Jan 25th I posted here that the construction of my new shop had started. It has taken around 3 months to finish since work happened mostly during the weekends. That has been the main reason for my absence from this forum....

Here are some pics of the construction process:

SDC10756.jpgFeb_Marzo_2010_045.jpg

There were some pitfalls in the way, like the time when the construction contractor blamed the welding contractor when his level got lost. The evidence of the innocence of the welding guy was obvious:

Feb_Marzo_2010_054.jpg

At the end, after 3 months of hard work and a few thousand dollars less in my pocket, voila!:

Feb_Marzo_2010_096.jpg

Of course, I wouldn't place here a pic without the wood already organized and all the trash being picked up! It took a complete truck of trash!!!!

I started moving the machines in without having the electrical installation already being done....

Feb_Marzo_2010_099.jpg

And a little hand organizing the small stuff...

Feb_Marzo_2010_101.jpg

Any way, I can't complain when I have a little stock of Cocobolo to turn:

Feb_Marzo_2010_107.jpg

I had mixed emotions when I saw my old shop emptied like this....

Feb_Marzo_2010_112.jpg

.... Well, it was good that I came back to take the pic... I didn't want to leave some extra stuff behind!!!!

Now, the electrical installation has already being done and I'm working on the shelves. I'll post the final pics when done!

I'll keep you updated with the last chapter of this journey!

I totally dig it!
    I live in the north and need 2 heaters to survive so I am the opposite of you for sure.

I gather you are into turning. Cannot wait myself to start it.

Nice place to disappear Mauricio, a really sweet escape!
    Hey - I have a close friend of the family who does charter fishing in P.R.
    If I get a chance to do some traveling in the fall I will look you up and you can get me turning!!!

***just looked at his webite - he operates the boats out of Coco, P.R.... where that is I don't know.
    Last edited by Ben Bonif; 04-07-2010 at 5:34 PM.

I personally think your title is very funny, and totally wrong.

Is anyone ever finished with their workshop? I've had mine up and running for 5 years now and it sure looks different every year.

I love the idea of the open shop on the one side. Sure beats Chicago winters....and summers.

Keep us posted as you get it better organized and start working out of it.
    Wood'N'Scout

Blog Entries
    I had mixed emotions when I saw my old shop emptied like this....
    I had similar feelings when I moved from my old place. However, using the new shop is a nice cure-all :-).

Don't let Steve scare ya ..... a shop is finished the moment you say it is and if anyone says there's is organized well insist on pics every day at closing time

Mines finished right now --- maybe a load of scrap in the middle of it, a bag of shop vac crud to the right, junk to haul to the fire pit all over. I say it's done....for the day, night and maybe a week. DONE

Could be worse. I am in the middle, no make that the early stages, of a total remodel. One half is getting new interior walls to provide cavity for insulation as well as framing for interior sheathing. The other side, well ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now Joe ... that is what I call a completely finished shop. For the day, week, whatever - you left it and it's now finished

Thanks for the messages!

Ben, when I started turning I got immediately hooked. I was able to start with a piece of wood in a lathe and have a totally finished object when I turned it off. It's just amazing! My country is so small that is mixed up with Puerto Rico very often. Anyway, there is some good sword fishing around here as well!

Greg, I can't help to have fixed emotions. I designed and build up myself the old shop. I based the design on the East coast barns that surrounded the place where I used to live in Jersey and Penn. This one is bigger and more practical. I think we all add improvements to our shops based on our experience and specific needs.

Bill, Joe and Steve. I guess you guys are right! It's only over for the day and essentially, it is never over!

Take care!

I mis-typed Mauricio ... the brain and fingers don't always play right together.
    He is in Cocoa , Costa Rica.
    His charter operation is called Fish On Sport Fishing & Tours
    He says the same thing ... people don't know what they are missing

Very nice business Ben! Don't forget to step by when you're in town to have some cold ones at the shop!