Thread: Outdoor wood storage

Outdoor wood storage

I recently bought more lumber (kiln dried, rough cut) than will fit in my workshop. I am storing part of it on the "lower deck" of my house. The question is whether it should be wrapped in plastic, just covered with plastic to keep the rain off (but with sides open for ventilation) or should be left totally open.

The house is on the side of a hill, so the lower deck is about 10 feet above the ground, open underneath, with ordinary 2x6 wood plank flooring. The upper deck provides shade but has similar decking, so it is not waterproof. The area around the house is "in the woods" so ventilation is limited.

I know I will have to acclimate the wood to the shop before I use it. I know it is an addiction to buy wood just because there is a good deal!

If you cover it with plastic,you might have a mildew problem.

[QUOTE=Charlie Plesums]I recently bought more lumber (kiln dried, rough cut) than will fit in my workshop. I am storing part of it on the "lower deck" of my house. The question is whether it should be wrapped in plastic, just covered with plastic to keep the rain off (but with sides open for ventilation) or should be left totally open.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/tmu/publications.htm

All you wanted to know and more.

Covered to keep rain and other precipitation from pooling on it...a sloped "roof" for run-off made from sheet goods and covered by tar paper is a good choice as is corrogated material. Don't wrap it in plastic! But storing outdoors, you're also going to have to sticker it for maximum ventilation, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...