I am placing this in this section because I believe this is more up your alley. I want to cut siding shingles for my new house using a 20" Delta bandsaw, so although it is using a power tool, its still kind of the hard way.

I have been searching for either a jig already made or pictures or drawings of one that will work with a vertical band saw. I have some ideas in mind but I know someone somewhere has made one, so if I can avoid some trial and error that would be great. I want it to be safe enough that my wife would feel comfortable making some of them as we would need 19 square.

I found some for horizontal lumber mills where the blade travels, but that idea does not really apply to a vertical band saw.

I thought about hand splits as I have a froe but they use a lot of material and do not fit as tightly as I am looking for. I am building out of stress skin panels, and so want to protect the integrity of the panel. The outside skin is part of the structure. Also I am doing a recreation of an old schoolhouse, and the sawn shingles would be more in keeping I am thinking.

My ideas always get so complicated that I never get to it. I'm looking for that "why did'nt I think of that" sort of simple solution.

I know I am in the wrong section, and I apoligise, but there are some great ideas floating around in here. I lurk here a lot as some of you fellows put me to shame with your talent with hand tools.

Thank you, Larry