Thread: Sanding Sticks

Sanding Sticks

I found these homemade tools to be unbeatable for sanding in the tightest smallest places.You can shape them to sand anywhere. They are made from broken off steel bristles from street sweeper brushes which are laying in the Boston street . A friend picked them up and sent them to me. They are spring steel, one eighth inch wide and different lengths. I even thought of Googling the steel street brush company to see what they would charge to send a few bristles. I stick the new longer lasting sandpaper to the ends of the tools with two sided masking tape. When the sandpaper wears out I just change it. I use a sharp razor blade to cut the tape and a duller one to cut the sandpaper into strips. I took extreme safety precautions in making the tools, glasses and safe non inflammable surfaces to heat the metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing this. Sanding at its best takes a little more skill than most people think. Although I haven't used anything like you posted, I do work in some soft materials where my favorite sanding blocks range from foam to plastic erasers. Alway good to have another idea in the arsenal.

I'm fairly certain that small gauge spring steel is available cheaply in coils, although I haven't purchased any as narrow as street sweeper bristles.

Thanks for the tip Marty! I think I have something that I can make work in a similar manner.
    Willing to consider trades for Native American Artifacts (arrowheads and such) - Peace!

When sharpened, they also make wonderful little chisels for tight spots. I have made a bunch of them. I watch for them when I am out walking, after the street sweepers have been through.

Gene

Thanks Gene. I'll have to try your tiny chisels. I still have a few steel bristles left.
    Marty

Marty

They sharpen wonderfully and I just drill a little hole in the end of a dowel and pressure fit them. Works great

Gene