Thread: Rabbeting Jointer???

Rabbeting Jointer???

I have a CM 6" Rabbeting Jointer. I am correct in assuming that this means that this jointer cuts rabbets? If so, how... I cannot even fathom how, if it indeed does cut rabbets...

Thanx,

shotgunn
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

If you try to joint a board wider than your knives, then the edge will overhang and you'll have a rabbet. That's the best I can think...

Before the advent of routers or dado saw sets, jointers were used to cut rabbets. If your jointer is equipped with a small ledge (part of the infeed table) surrounding the outboard end of the cutterhead, the infeed table can be lowered to control the depth of rabbet, and the fence can be set to control the width.

Although I have had three jointers equipped with a rabbet ledge, I have never felt the need to experiment or use it. Routers or dado sets do a much better job for what I might need rabbeted.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Shawn is pretty much correct... A rabbiting jointer has an extra ledge past the cutting head that allows a rabbet to be cut.

... Chip beat me to it!

To use your jointer to make rabbits, you will need to remove the guard, move the fence to the width of the rabbit and lower the bed to the depth. Using your jointer to make rabbits isn't necessary with as many other alternative methods available now. The table saw with stacked dados, a shaper with a straight cutter or even a router table with dado bit are all safer choices for us.
    fmr

While you can still pick up bad habits as well as good ones, I have found You Tube to still be a good general reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHfwd3-vyY

The only times I have used the feature is when jointing boards wider than the jointer. Otherwise, there are better ways to make a rabbet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've seen most jointers referred to as rabbeting jointers. The above explanations pretty much sum it up.