Thread: Need alternative tabletop finishes in California!

Need alternative tabletop finishes in California!

I just found out that no one will ship Behlens Rockhard or Waterlox finishes to California. I am working on a Walnut end table and was going to use Behlens so that it would match a slab table that I completed last year.

Any alternatives that will ship to California?

There are at least 6 Woodcraft stores in CA. They should have Behlen's or Waterlox in stock.

I would pick Waterlox over Behlen's if it was up to me...

If they can't get it for you, I would MOVE!
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Time to Move

So this must mean that it is still sold in stores but cannot be bought over the internet?

I do think it is time to move, would love to go back up to Oregon but I just put a kid in college and have to work!

4. There is a "California" version of some of the waterlox product, and their standard version.
    You just have to buy local or find someone that will ship the California version.
    I believe you can order from the Waterlox webiste.

Blog Entries
    I'm not seeing it . . .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

According to Glenns table there are no limits on the VOCs in varnish sold in quart or smaller containers except in the SCAQUS portion of California. But some seller's likely don't want to figure out which zip codes would allow shipping and which wouldn't. But the Waterlox low voc version can be used even in the SCAQUS region. It's more expensive so some retailers may use the voc regulations as an excuse not to carry it even though they could. (It's just a variant of the retailer's common lie that "they don't make that anymore.")

Varnishes are regulated by various AIM (Architectural and Industrial Maintainance coatings) rules on the federal, state, county and city level(s) in the USA. The SCAQMD (South Coast Air Quality Management District) in California has the most stringent AIM VOC rules; and they alone have eliminated the quart exemption for the varnish category.

If you are in California and you do not know if you are in the SCAQMD, you can use the zip code checker on their website to see if you live within the district. Zip Codes in AQMD

We have products available for use in all areas of the US, depending upon your project. You can also call Waterlox at 800.321.0377 to check to see which products are available for sale and use in your area for your particular project.

Hope this helps,

Chip Schaffner - Waterlox Coatings

Thanks for all the info

Thanks for the great info, especially the list of zip codes from Chip. It turns out I am not in the SQAMD but apparently online suppliers do not check the zip codes and simply do not ship to california. I was able to order it from a local Woodcraft store and have it shipped as I am quite a distance away.

I have not yet tried the Waterlox but will on a future project.

Drew.